Leaning the graver in a curve

LRB

Which way is best, inside lean, or outside? I know Sam's opinion, and I think mine is the same, but what say you. I started out leaning to the outside, but switched after reading Sam's tutorials. My work seems better since I changed, but I am not sure that is the reason why. I was recently told by a very good engraver that my work would be better if I went back to the outside lean. Can you give me pro's and con's of each? I work with hammer and chisel.

Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
LRB: It depends on what you're cutting. If it's script lettering, most cuts, if not all (except hairlines), will lean to the outside. When cutting backbone lines in scrolls, lean to the outside. When cutting leaves, think 'beveled glass' with the cuts beveling to the inside creating a raised portion of the design. That being said, whether the graver rolls to the left or to the right depends on the particular line you're cutting at that moment. Again, think beveled glass and make your cuts so the leaf is slightly raised in the center. This will give your work sparkle and character.

LRB

I agree with you, BUT, I have an old book called the art of engraving, by F. H. Rees, Printed in 1909, not Meeks book, that says the opposite on scroll lettering. Cutting letters of any kind is my greatest weakness, but I have done best with cutting to the inside with letters. I am just a beginner, I don't even know what to think about what I think. I do not do relief engraving, only incised.

Norm

Sam,

While I understand the design element for leaning into the leaf, is the reason to lean to the outside on other cuts to reduce heel drag. I seem to have noticed less heel drag problems when leaning to the outside, although truthfully I'm not sure if it just me.

Thanks,

On pages 54 & 55 Rees shows the shading on the outside of the Script curves (ref Fig 54, 55, 57 & 58). I'm pretty sure he recomments leaning the graver to the outside of all curves in script lettering.

LRB

Please check page 53, where it is stated and shown that an arc is shaded to the inside to preserve the shape of the oval that is shown in fig. 52, and fig.53. Am I misunderstanding what is being shown here?

LRB

Hey guys, Mr. Waters, please check what I said, and see how you understand it. By studying the cut of letters, it looks to me like you would have to cut to the inside, or make your layout to acomadate the added metal you will remove on an outside lean.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
if the heel drags there's too much heel to start with. reduce your heel length to just a hair or so. you'll see much better results .

I looked at page 53, Fig 52 showing an oval with the shade on the left side. "..., the swell forming the shade being all on the outside of the line at the left." What is not made very clear is that the swelled cut is made from the top down. The point of the graver is following a nearly straight line while the graver is leaned (rolled) to the RIGHT (viewed by the engraver) forming the shade. It took me a lot of practice to control the roll while preventing the tip from going deeper into the metal. I do a slow roll to increase the shade and a faster return roll to exit the cut.