License ??

Santo

Elite Cafe Member
Did I read at one time on this forum (or was I drreamin')that if you are going to work on guns -- just engraving -- not selling or dealing of any kind -- you have to have a dealers license?

S~

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If you are accepting engraving work from other individuals............you need an FFL.......... UNLESS......you are doing this on muzzleloaders.
If you have any questions about what you need do not hesitate to call the local ATF office in your area. They are very helpful and friendly

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Hi Santo,
You can probably get away with engraving your own gun just for youself, maybe.
But if you engrave or do any work for others on the part of a gun that has a serial number
and/or is in your shop overnight you are required to have a Federal Firearms License (FFL.)

Hope this helps, John B.

PS> Some black powder guns may be excluded from this rule.

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
There is a very comprehensive thread on this subject already a few months back. You'll just have to do a search to dig it up; lots of info there. For the record, as far as the ATF is concerned we fall under the "gunsmith" heading and it plainly says so in their rules.

Kinda stupid I know but there it is until they get wised up and change it. Like any government entity or corporate giant; they all like to make "blanket policy" and inevitably someone gets caught up in it and included that really shouldn't be.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Unkl Ian.
I don't know the rules for Canada. I moved from there in 1950. Check with your local Chief of Police or the RCMP.
But in the US it is not hard to get a FFL if you don't have a criminal record.
It costs a few hundred dollars for a new application but is only $90 to renew it every three years.
Guns and especially handguns crossing the border might be a whole different problem, though.

Best regards, John B.

qndrgnsdd

Elite Cafe Member
All modern handguns are now illegal to own by individuals in Canada, same as Austrailia and UK, rifles and shotgund MUST be registered to be transported or bought and sold. I don't know the license requirements, but I'm sure you could find out online or from RCMP (GRC).......Good luck!

quickcut07

Elite Cafe Member
Handguns and long rifles which include shotguns are all legal in Canada. That is with the exception of 32 cal. or smaller cal. but not including 22's. As well any handgun under the barrel length of 4" . All others are legal. In the rifle area all are legal basically but assault style guns, as well with the shotgun catagory.
As far as working on guns in Canada you need to be licenced as a dealer to keep any restricted firearm that you are not the owner. Rifles and shotguns unless falling into the restricted class do not fall into that catagory. The shooting sports in Canada are very alive and well. Any given weekend a competition or shoot can be found in most local areas. At many of these as well as in the States guns from slight adornments to full blown complete engraved coverage can be seen.
To take firearms into the U.S.A. a form 6 must be applied for from the ATF offices. Getting an FFL by a Canadian in the same place I believe just different section. Been to long since I talked to them last.
Hope some of that helps. There is a Canadian version of the NRA, it use to be called CILA. I believe they recently changed there name, and are linked to the NRA.

qndrgnsdd

Elite Cafe Member
Please check your handgun regs, I live just south of the B.C. border and many Canadians are members of our local gun club. You man not bring ANY smokless powder hand gun into Canada from the US unless you are Customs, RCMP, or other police and the gun is licensed and regestered to the particular force. All long arms (modern cartridge) must be registered (this law is not well enforced but it is the law. There are some exceptions made for collector arms. This is what they all tell us.........Owen

quickcut07

Elite Cafe Member
Bringing guns from the U.S. into Canada is a bit of an involved affair. We shoot both sides of the border and have a Can Am shoot every year. For a Canadian to enter the U.S. with a firearm is fairly simple valid PAL. and a form 6 from the ATF. Be sure you tell customs upon entering first thing, that you have firearms on board. Have all your paperwork ready, PAL, gun registration, and form 6. If you are from the U.S. and entering Canada you need to be licensed in Canada and I believe there is a fee to cover paperwork. The boys that come over say it is not that bad, but yes it is a hassel and can be done. This is to enter into Ontario I can't say about the other provinces. It is always best to ask before taking a chance.
To do cross border engraving I think this can be done but would not be a simple affair. Friends have had theirs shipped to Italy and the U.S. for work and engraving. But that again is it leaving and coming back to Canada. I will have to stop into customs and see if there is a section covering this. We are less than 5 minutes from the border. I would be happy to look further into this if there is interest.

Latest posts

Sponsors