Lighting

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
A recent thread on the ACGG site referred to LED replacement bulbs for fluorescent fixtures. I have engraved under a three bulb four foot fixture for some 40 years or more. I checked out the bulbs at Home Depot and settled on toggled 5000K bulbs of 2100 lumens. These bypass the old ballast transformers as they are wired direct to the incoming power cord. And only one end is wired. I removed 8 lbs from the fixture by removing the ballast transformers. The light comes on immediately and gives great daylight lighting. I just upgraded a second fixture and plan on doing a third one soon.

Just thought others might want to check these out if you use such fixtures.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
A few days ago I purchased two 48" LED bulbs that replace fluorescent bulbs above my bench. I got the ones that use the ballast and don't require re-wiring. Like you said Sam, instant on, bright daylight balanced light. They are probably 10% brighter than the fluorescent bulbs in other fixtures I haven't replaced. I wanted to try 2 as a test to see how they are, and I plan to swap out the rest soon.

They are considerably cooler, too. My fluorescent bulbs are T8s I think (the skinny ones) and they are so hot I couldn't change them until after I turned them off for a few minutes. The LED bulbs are barely warm.

SamW

The bulbs that you used Sam need ballast transformer in excellent shape and since my fixtures are at least 45 years old and probably well over 50, I decided to go the ballast bypass route. Either way you get much better light that runs cooler and uses less electricity.

Reactions: Sam

SamW

I was asked about 8 foot fixtures but I have no knowledge about them. The only bulbs I have seen/noticed were for 4 foot fixtures. One would have to check on the availability of the longer bulbs.

monk

Staff member
well. candles were replaced by incandescent. now, and rightfully so, the led is coming of age. my entire house/workshops are led.

Latest posts

Sponsors