lost wax cast aluminum pistol grip

thatcher

Thread starter #1
Hi everyone! I dont check this forum as much as i should but wanted to share a project iv been working on. this is a cast aluminum pistol grip i made for a camera. i dont have all my engraving equiptment yet (need a sharpener and a vice ect.) so i did the carving in the wax before it was molded and poured with an exacto blade. someday i will get to the metal removing type of engraving but this is what im doing now.
http://thatcherworks.blogspot.com thanks for looking! i have a few gas tanks and some grips im pouring in bronze in the next week at school so i have some sanding and polishing ahead of me!

thatcher

Thread starter #7
thanks for the kind words! it has been a lot of work. i have hundreds of hours into this batch of castings. it is definitely not something you want to go film a riot with but just like with toy and bb guns a little common sense should go a long way. Dont get shot taking the shot!

thatcher

Thread starter #9
thank you! also i have a question for you folks. how do I remove the polishing rouge from the carved details? i want them to be dark but would rather have paint in there than black gunk that gets on my hands even after i clean it off. solvent? i really dont want to have to do any thing with acid if possible.

thatcher

Thread starter #14
good to know!. before i asked the question i boiled it and it totally ruined the polish. looked like dull pot metal. I had to re polish the whole thing. the thinner and toothbrush worked amazing after that though!

Latest posts

Sponsors