low budget sharpeng jig

jasonyachik

hello need help i have one graver i will use for noe a # 38 flat how in the - - - - do i sharpen this thing

and is there someone in the albquerque area what will be willing to help with some pointers ?

thughes

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Jason, I am faaaaar from an expert, but the Lindsay sharpening templates are super easy to use. I don't know if they have what you want, but if so they are simple.

Andrew Biggs

I'm not sure a Lindsay would work for a #38 flat. From my understanding the system is based on square gravers, not a preshaped one like a flat.

The hand method is simply sharpen the face to whatever degree you want on it and then a very slight heel. With a good stone and a bit of practice it's not that hard for flats.

What exactly are you doing with this graver ?????

Cheers
Andrew

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Flat, onglette, knife, and round gravers are all pretty easy to do by hand. Like already said a little practice and experimentation is really all you need for these gravers. I've got several sharpening systems and a power hone. But I rarely use the fixtures for these gravers anymore.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
This is a repost from a few years ago. I don't think it gets and cheaper and better than this.

========

I used this method for many years. It works well for heeling square gravers.

A sharpening fixture is always the best bet for repeatable accuracy, but this can get you in the game for very little investment.

For the guide I used a 4" Momax cobalt graver blank from Brownell's. Not sure if they are still available or not. Any similar square blank made of HSS should work. Just don't use a tool steel that's softer than the graver or it'll wear very quickly.

TIP: Slightly round and polish one of the corners of the guide to reduce drag with sharpening.

graver_heeling_method.jpg

Latest posts

Sponsors