Question: Low profile vise vs Goliath vise

Stratos21

What is the best option for engraving under a microscope low profile vise with satellite turntable or Goliath with truecenter camlock vise!

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I think it depends on what you're engraving. Larger vises are often used for larger, heavier work like gun engraving. Smaller articles are handled very nicely in the low profile w/satellite turntable, which I have 3 of.

Keep in mind that taller vises will sit lower than shorter vises.

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I think it depends on what you're engraving. Larger vises are often used for larger, heavier work like gun engraving. Smaller articles are handled very nicely in the low profile w/satellite turntable, which I have 3 of.

Keep in mind that taller vises will sit lower than shorter vises.
Sam. Does the gas low profile have the top of the jaws at or below the centre of rotation? So that the work area does not shift as you tilt the vise?

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have the low profile dovetail vise, it was made so as to not affect the FOV too much. Unfortunately no longer made call Steve maybe he will make you one

Attachments

• 6A556CE8-C083-4A99-B6BF-23ECE42AFE24.jpeg
    6A556CE8-C083-4A99-B6BF-23ECE42AFE24.jpeg
    132.8 KB · Views: 50

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have the low profile dovetail vise, it was made so as to not affect the FOV too much. Unfortunately no longer made call Steve maybe he will make you one
Looks like you have the cam lock on it, which i assume somewhat undermines the low profile?

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
No still works fine and no need for turntable, just the rotation of the upper section of the vise. No need to slide the vise around and can still use the tilt. the combo weights about 55 lbs. I did have to lower the vise around 2 inches

Last edited:

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Like the true center best, you still use the engraving ball the true center is a accessory too the regular vise and eliminates the need to push the whole set up around on the turntable. MTC YMMV
I checked Steve Lindsay site and it appears that he now has vises complete with the true center included . If you don’t have a ball vise

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors