magnification you use

charles vail

What magnification do you all use on average when engraving? If its true the lower power end of the scale is the most used where exactly is that 3.5x, 7x, 10x, what?

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I would say the magnification range will definitely suffice. Other considerations as the clarity and brightness of the optics, smoothness of the zoom and field of view come to mind.

Good luck finding something you are pleased with,
Peter

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i don't bother to check. i just zoom to where it feels best for what i'm doing. i frequently zoom up and down and don't stick to a given setting. just work where you think it's most comfortable and effective.

Andrew Biggs

I'm the same as Monk.

Just zoom in and out to whatever feels right. If it's a big backbone to a scroll, then I zoom out. If it's a tiny scroll then I zoom in all the way. Just whatever's comfortable really.

Cheers
Andrew

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Charles,

Something you may want to consider is getting a quality used scope.

I have a Carl Ziess that is over 20 years old and it works great and cost me nothing. It was given to me. My sister bought a nice Olympus stereo zoom scope with a dual head fiber optic light and boom stand on ebay for about $450 and it is also a great scope. The only thing she had to do was buy a .5 (it came with a .75) reduction lens and a pair of rubber eye guards. For about $500 total she had a high quality scope in great shape with a stand and a very nice fiber optic flexible twin head light.

You might want to look around for a good quality used scope. You may end up with a better quality set up for about the same money.

Brands you might consider used are Nikon, Ziess, Olympus, Licea (SP?), Meiji, and I am sure there are others that are fine scopes that I just am not familiar with.

Things to look for.

-Stereo Zoom Scope
-.35 to .7 on the low end 3.5 to 4.5 on the high end
-Quality brand name that cam be serviced or repaired in the future by any service shop. Nothing is worse than trying to find spare parts for off brand equipment
-.5 reduction lens. This can be bought afterward if it does not come with it.
-10X wide field eyepieces. Make sure they are wide field eyepieces. This can also be bought after market for any major brand.

I am sure if I have forgotten anything others will add.

As to where I work, I am like Andrew. I am all over the zoom range depending on what I am cutting. For big scroll and long borders I am usually on the low end. For tiny tight bulino detail I am as cranked as I can get and looking for my 20X eyepieces.

Ray

Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I used an Olympus SZIII for over 20 years and it performed well, but wasn't as bright as the Meiji scope I replaced it with. One problem I had with the Olympus is that over time the internal lenses and prisms would get dusty. I have never had this problem with the Meiji, and think they are sealed much better than the old Olympus was.

During the course of engraving, I work mainly in the middle ranges of the zoom. Rarely do I engrave at maximum or minimum magnifications, but being able to zoom out to minimum is quite handy to see an occasional full view of your workpiece.

~Sam

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
optivisor 2.5x :D There's always one in the crowd.

qndrgnsdd

Elite Cafe Member
I use 3.5X microsurgery loupes with a 14 inch focal length and optivisor with a #7 lens plate or a #10 lens plate. Lee there are usually several in each crowd, it is just that some never open the old mouth!.....Owen

www.walkergoldsmiths.com

charles vail

opti visor

I'm using the #10 visor now for setting but there are times when that isn't enough. I just want to be able to do the very best work. Here are a couple of examples of my work. A white gold diamond ring, a wax carved relief carving that was cast, a wax carved and cast 14K auto pendant, a bright cut diamond ring and a pendant. Sorry there are no engraved pieces to show now. The ring photos and auto pendant are close to life size while the amethyst pendant is about half life size.

Attachments

• DSCN1189.JPG
    DSCN1189.JPG
    27.3 KB · Views: 58
  • DSCN1349.JPG
    DSCN1349.JPG
    29.7 KB · Views: 73
  • DSCN1919.JPG
    DSCN1919.JPG
    24.7 KB · Views: 47
  • DSCN2460.JPG
    DSCN2460.JPG