Magnum vs 901 hand piece face off

billyProps

The lady at GRS had a handy metric for comparing the two hand pieces: the Magnum would be in a range of 15-7 or so, and the 901 would cover 10-5ish. The Monarch would cover below that. She Suggested I go with the 901. When I ordered the Graversmith, the 901s were on back order so I got the Magnum to see if I like it better while I wait for The 901. I can’t imagine needing finer control than this Magnum offers. I‘m kind of a butcher right now though, so maybe I need that top end power taken away? Would the 901 force me to explore a lighter touch? Trying to form good habits early on.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
The Magnum is great for heavy work as we have noted in the past. For me, it's too large for my hand to do really fine shading and smaller detailed work. I suppose I could adapt to it if it was all I had, but the 901 is gold standard in engraving handpieces as far as I'm concerned. It's capable of ultra fine work and is the best hammering handpiece for heavy sculpting I've ever used. That's one guy's opinion. Your mileage may vary.

Attachments

• pinheads.jpg
    pinheads.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 77
  • sculpting finished 1.jpg
    sculpting finished 1.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 77

billyProps

The Magnum is great for heavy work as we have noted in the past. For me, it's too large for my hand to do really fine shading and smaller detailed work. I suppose I could adapt to it if it was all I had, but the 901 is gold standard in engraving handpieces as far as I'm concerned. It's capable of ultra fine work and is the best hammering handpiece for heavy sculpting I've ever used. That's one guy's opinion. Your mileage may vary.
Thank you, Sam. I’m thinking I’m going to go with the 901 once it comes in.

I’m actually using your Nuremberg scroll design from the drawing archives as a reference this morning for practice drawing scrolls.

billyProps

After two weeks with the 901, then switching back to the Magnum, it’s like driving a Cadillac. Really hard to decide which one I like best.

416Rigby

Hate to drag up old threads, but I still have the question in the back of my mind. Is the 901 as powerful as the Magnum. I been using a 720 for a lot of years, then the Magnum came out. I just recently added another machine to my bench, and it did not come with a handpiece. Contemplating about buying the 901 handpiece. Hoping after all these months. Your opinion, and other opinions are appreciated.
I do a lot of gun engraving, and high relief work in steel, Every handpiece has a special place for different opinion, and views.

billyProps

I have both the magnum and 901 and I love the 901. I rarely use the magnum. I found it very useful for applying a dot background with a beading tool installed, but the 901 does everything I need otherwise. Granted I’m a novice and only spend about an hour a day practicing lettering, shading, and scrolls. Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Sponsors