Question: Microscopes

Nathan Ott

Over the years I've been slowly buying the different pieces of my engraving setup. The only thing I'm missing now is a scope.

I've had my eye on a Meiji since the beginning, but at present the setup is out of my price range. I know that trying to cut corners (and dollars) on a scope is risky business, and I had contented myself to just wait for a Meiji. Until the other night when I was looking at Ottofrei's website. They're offering a very competitively priced scope, claiming it will match up with more expensive models.

I'm wondering if anyone around the cafe knows anything about these scopes. I don't think Ottofrei manufactures them themselves, so I would assume it is another brand that they are applying their name to.

http://www.ottofrei.com/store/home.php?cat=3214

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
The scope you are referring to is Chinese... However, Frei seems to have found a supplier with decent quality control. 3 of my students have them, and all have given them thumbs up - so far.

You might want to look for the scope repair website. (I have it somewhere, but can't find it just now)

They will give you the rate of repairs, and tell you about any difficulties in finding parts for them.

They don't sell scopes, (not positive about this?) they fix them - and have always answered my questions straight up. They list and rate all brands.

Sometimes a bit brutal with their criticism - they especially do not like the current model GIA gemological scopes... very low rating for those.

I will try to run across the site info later today, if someone else doesn't put it up first. In fact, I believe it's somewhere in the archives on this forum?

Brian Marshall
SJAS
Stockton, CA USA 95209
209-477-0550
instructor@jewelryartschool.com

Last edited:

Kevin Scott

Elite Cafe Member
microscope

the article Brian is referring to is in the "tips archive". Seems like great article. Also there is a Leica microscope for sale here in buy and sell dept. I don't know much about microscopes but it seems a good deal.
Some of the sellers of these new low priced microscopes offer a return privilege, but you pay shipping. A good option since it seems the quality contol and inspection is not as good as the top name scopes. Kevin Scott

Andrew Biggs

Hi Nathan

First I would like to say that I know nothing about the scope that you are looking at as I’ve never seen or tried it so I have no idea how good (or bad) it may be

A word of warning about microscopes from one that has been down this path. I started with a Watson and went through the whole process of finding out about it etc. The seller said it was a really good microscope and used buy a lot of people etc. It wasn’t cheap as it cost about $900 (NZ)

And it was a good microscope……………for what it was. And that is the key to it…………..for what it was.

I thought it was just great because I knew no better and it fitted my budget. When I went to America and stayed with John B and had a look through the Meiji’s at various booths I began to realize that my scope wasn’t that good after all and that the Meiji scopes had a lot better optics that were sharper, clearer, allowed more light in and it goes through the whole zoom spectrum without having to alter it all the time.

The short of it is I now have a Meiji scope that I purchased a few months ago that I’m very happy with and just wish I had brought it from the beginning because it would have saved me quite a bit of money.

I have no idea how you work or if you use airtools or hammer/chisel etc etc but you may also want to consider the .3 objective lens. This gives you about 10†of working space and the .5 gives you about 4â€. The .3 allows you to still zoom in really tight but gives you a ton of tool and hand room. The big problem being that the vise sits lower which can be a bit of a pain as you can sort of end up stradeling it…………but again this will depend on entirely how you prefer to work and the type of work you mainly do, plus the type of tools you use.

So sometimes saving a dollar now is not always the best way to go.

However, in saying all that, if your eyes need a scope and that is all your budget allows (and will allow for quite some time)……….then it’s better than nothing. Just be prepared for a bit of a learning curve when you first use a scope and don’t rush straight into a valuable job……….take a few days to get used to it as you depth perception changes quite a bit using one.

Cheers
Andrew

Nathan Ott

First of all, thanks for all the input everyone.

Andrew,

I do work with air tools exclusively, primarily on jewelry. I haven't made the leap to guns or other larger objects, but I do plan on getting there eventually.

I see your point about the scope though. A 1,000 dollar complete setup seems cheap until you end up replacing it with another scope a few years down the line. And really, I don't think the Meiji scopes are overly expensive, especially as everyone I've talked to seems to have a very good opinion of them.

My problem is I want to start using a scope yesterday...

mhgjewel

Elite Cafe Member
i know this is probably not going to be useful, but i bought a microscope with the acrobat arm (probably chinese) on ebay for $500 and i love it.

i am sure that this one is pretty good not a high end but i sure this will work fine

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I know that trying to cut corners (and dollars) on a scope is risky business...

Nathan, you pretty much summed it up as far as I'm concerned. You should consider a microscope purchase just as seriously as you do your other tool purchases, if not more so. My advice is to resist the temptation to buy a Chinese microscope and hold off until you can get a Meiji. If you're not used to a scope nearly any scope will look good until you compare them side by side with a truly excellent one. I'm no expert but I can tell you that I've tested a LOT of Chinese microscopes and I promise you that you will get exactly what you pay for.

Cheers / ~Sam

Nathan Ott

I found Leonardo's post about microscopes in the Tips archive, somehow I've looked there so many times and I never saw it. The website he lists is really helpful. Its looks like one can get a hold of a nice refurbished scope for a really decent price. The site lists scopes that are worth buying and scopes that should be avoided too.

Sam, I had a feeling the price on the Ottofrei scope was too good to be true, but I wasn't sure it was Chinese until Brian informed me. I think I'll keep my eye out for a refurbished Meiji.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I think you'll be better off with a Meiji, Nathan. I really wish there was a less expensive alternative to a Meiji that I felt was a safe buy. Optics are critical and when you're going to be looking through them for extended hours your eyes and work deserve a scope that delivers crystal clarity, brightness, and accurate focusing.