The black are first cut, rest have varied amounts of retouch

Attachments

• 20200412_124559.jpg
    20200412_124559.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 127

papart1

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
guy's I know I'm NOT supposed to use templates..............and found out today, the templates I have are really bad flawed. Hence the ones in the black. I use the templates to hasten drawing, I can use a portion but have to hand draw to be right. What say you please?

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
paps, now the challenge is to remember what you did on the correct scrolls and do that every time. I use an ngraver template for the speed of it when working on a design especially descending size scrolls but you have to go back and fix all the flaws. Draw really light with the template and repair from there. It's faster for me probably the wrong way but it's my way.
Leland

tdelewis

Elite Cafe Member
It looks like you were turning your wrist when you should be turning the vice. Turn the vice when cutting. Stop the cut reposition your hand and turn the vice as you cut. Let the circular movement of the vice take out those imperfections in the backbone. Try not to go around the scroll by turning the graver into it.

papart1

T.D you are on spot...............that's what I have to practice, the vise

roentgen

Hi papart1!
What tools did you use therefore?
Is it air assisted, do you have a turntable with a vise on it or are you practicing without microscope?
Do you have Lindsay’s or GRS sharpening system or do you sharpen without those? Maybe the tools are the key?! Or a softer practice plate...
As long as one element is wrong, you will not have fun to engrave scrolls.
Roentgen

papart1

Bevel to the inside of the element......correct? I'll a jimdandy one pretty quick, working on it.

papart1

Roentgen,air,sometimes hand push,lindsay 118 UNIVERSAL under the scope, grs standard vice. 4 tube flourencant 2' above me.......anything else

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
The scroll on the left with the checkmark next to it is in an awkward location. You should find another solution for that area.

A couple of your spirals are ok but the rest are not. It's critically important to have a perfect spiral before you start cutting.

If you simply want to throw some scrolls onto a plate and cut for fun, then templates are ok. If you want to really learn the art of hand engraving, you should hone your drawing skills. It just depends on what your goals are.

monk

Staff member
i created a set of tracing spirals on my laser. they were perfect in every way for doing layouts. but i made them for the h of it. once i made them, they simply gather dust. drawing by hand is just as quick as any "system". one must just practice till the results are acceptable. even with a graded set of templates, that's no guarantee you'll be placing them in a flowing order that looks good.

Latest posts

Sponsors