Motorcycle Parts

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Here are the latest parts I did for a client. They include the battery case and top for the right side of the bike and two electrical case covers that bolt together on the left side. The eagle/cross design is special to the client - it is a roadside sign in Europe at his favorite place in the mountains. The flames trail towards the back of the bike on each side. All the parts were steel and were chromed after the engraving.

Attachments

• German Eagle Edit Photo-2 Edited.jpg
    German Eagle Edit Photo-2 Edited.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 252
  • German Eagle Edit Photo-1 Edited.jpg
    German Eagle Edit Photo-1 Edited.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 217
  • German Eagle Edit Photo-3 Edited.jpg
    German Eagle Edit Photo-3 Edited.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 274
  • German Eagle Edit Photo-4 Edited.jpg
    German Eagle Edit Photo-4 Edited.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 214
  • German Eagle Edit Photo-5 Edited.jpg
    German Eagle Edit Photo-5 Edited.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 267

Norm

Hi Tira,

These pieces look amazing. Can you tell us a little about the types of gravers you use. Also these cuts look quite deep. Are they done in one pass or multiple passes. Excellent work!

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
this is the kind of stuff that lites my fire. i love lookin at this kind of engraving. pretty and deep ! must have been a pain going around those corners !! the bird and cross looks great. i like to see cuts made that way. i always like to see your pics ! even that ole wrench was cool !

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Dmitry - The parts are stripped and polished, engraved, and then rechromed.

Norm - For this job I used a 120. Sometimes I use round shaped gravers, but they tend to slip (at least I have trouble with them slipping) while going around the curved surfaces at the sides/corners. I find the 90 or 120 is a bit easier on the curves because the "V" digs in and holds better. Most of the lines were done in one pass. The lettering is a series of parallel lines again done with the 120. The pictures don't capture it well, but the lettering pops out due to the light bouncing off the multiple lines.

Fegarex - Everything I do seems to be a pain to hold. I had to modify one of my existing jigs for this job.

Here are some additional pictures to show the process. The first is the picture supplied by the client so that I could design the artwork. The second picture is my design in Corel Draw. The last 3 pictures are of the parts after they have been stripped and polished. I've worked out the flames with a sharpie. These are "in process" pictures and the actual flames changed slightly between the rough out design and the final engraving.

Attachments

• German Eagle Mountain Sign.jpg
    German Eagle Mountain Sign.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 114
  • German Eagle Final Draw.jpg
    German Eagle Final Draw.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 89
  • German Eagle Layout 1.jpg
    German Eagle Layout 1.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 138
  • German Eagle Layout 2.jpg
    German Eagle Layout 2.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 91
  • German Eagle Layout 3.jpg
    German Eagle Layout 3.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 131

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Great work, Tira. You are the queen of impossible-to-hold engraving jobs. How you do them so cleanly is really something. / ~Sam

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Tira, you might consider using a 130 or even a 135 degree graver for these jobs. They are not forgiving if you try to roll them, but as long as you keep them straight up, you can cut this big stuff easier.

this was done with a 130, I tried a 140 but could'nt make it work, but I know one of my students who does motorcycle parts told he was using a 135.

Attachments

• engr-0017.jpg
    engr-0017.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 117

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Tira,
Figuring out how to hold things is an art in itself, particularly with the vibration of sheet material and being able to grip it tightly. Did you use thermolock or wooden blocks, pitch or what? We all become gizmo makers in the end, huh Tira. Have you done any fourteen karat gold collar stays yet? You younger guys are probably going ......What's that!!??
Ron S

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ron, To hold these parts I used a couple of boards nailed together in a "T" fashion with my old trusty craftsmen squeeze clamps. I was lucky and didn't have to completely reinvent the wheel.

Are the collar stays the thin tabs that go on the underside of a collar to keep it flat and straight on dress shirts? I have to pull them in and out of my husbands collars all the time, but his are made of plastic. Maybe he needs a gold engraved set.... Christmas is coming..... I'll have to look into it.

hiloboy

will i'll add this to this thread (motorcycle parts)i hope thats okay if not let me know.. i just engraved this.. its for someplace on the frame of a harley thats all i know. he wanted a rustic barbed wire look..i love your work Tira!!!

Attachments

• #1.jpg
    #1.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 60
  • #2.jpg
    #2.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 40
  • #3.jpg
    #3.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 32
Last edited: