Critique Request My first Leaf Script attempt

leschowe

Elite Cafe Member
Hi everyone,
After Sam presented his "C" shading exercise a while ago I have become very interested in Leaf Script. This is my first attempt at creating my own Leaf Script design and I have used my signature "LeS" in script as an example. I have attached 4 photos. The first is the original script drawing, the second is the structural cut, the third is with shading added, and the last is the original drawing for cutting.
After reading Sam's crosshatching post above I can see that I have some work to do on my crosshatching. I would really appreciate any advise which will help improve my design and cutting.

Thanks,

Les Schowe

Attachments

• LeS.jpg
    LeS.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 111
  • LeS_ver1_y=Unshaded.jpg
    LeS_ver1_y=Unshaded.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 137
  • Les_ver1_Shaded.jpg
    Les_ver1_Shaded.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 173
  • Les_ver1C.jpg
    Les_ver1C.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Les, sure it looks good, But.... as you already said yourself about the crosshatching, it would have been better in my opinion whitout it.
Your crosshatching did not add something to the shading, sure you know you made some mistakes doing the crosshatching, and that is why we are here to learn.

And as far is I can judge your design, it looks good, But... the S looks more balanced than the L.
On the L in my opinion there is more mass on top and middle and the base of the letter L is a bit weak.

Just my opinion of course, others can explain it probably better

arnaud

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
the design i think is sound. maybe your lines went too far over the edge in a few spots, but that's not worth getting a jail sentence over !

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Les
In my opinion you should have the leaf details flowing in one direction on each letter rather than reversing them in mid stream. This way you eye will flow around and through them more smoothly. Also is there a reason you did the "e" in lower case?

Did you get your muzzle loading tag for elk?
Marty

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
It's certainly a lot better than my first attempt at leaf script, Les. You're well on your way. I'd like to see the leaf elements a little bolder, but that's personal preference. A bit more care in the crosshatching department, too. The crosshatching line placement isn't done as accurately as some of your other shading lines.

I'll be anxious to watch your progress on this. You're off to a good start. / ~Sam

leschowe

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you all for the critiques of my Leaf Script, I really appreciate it.

Marty, Your observation is very good. I tried to vary the direction of the leaf structures for an effect that I was trying out, but I think that you are right that I should keep everything going in the same direction. As for the lower case "e", I use "Les" for my first name, and my initials are "LS", Soooo, I sign my work (my mark, so to speak) with a script "LeS".

Sam, Thanks for the kind words. I have studied the work that you have posted on igraver and I think that your bold and shaded leaf structures are very beautiful and striking. I have been trying to draw larger and more bold leaf elements but I find that drawing the larger leaf elements is not as easy as it might look. It is very difficult for me to keep everything parallel and flowing when drawing the larger elements. I am, however, continuing to work on achieving the larger leaf structures as you suggest. You are also correct that my crosshatching needs some work - it's probably a good example of how not to do it.

Thanks again for your comments,
Les Schowe