My First Paid Job

Andrew Biggs

A few weeks ago I was asked to give a talk about engraving at the local Antique Arms Association of which I’m a life member. After the talk a friend of mine approached me with an old rifle his son had brought. It was a really nice rifle except for a big chunk out the side of the stock filled with epoxy. It spoilt the whole thing.

Anyway he asked me if I could engrave something to cover the area. So I cut a piece of German silver in an oval shape 45 x 35mm and engraved it. The goats head is a Chamois that lives in the mountain ranges and is an elusive little critter. Apparently it’s a trophy head that his son shot last year and had mounted.

I’ve just finished it so it’s hot off the press so to speak. Someone else is inletting it into the rifle stock. I must say that the German silver was very nice to engrave.

As Usual, any comments or critique are always appreciated

Cheers
Andrew

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Andrew,
It's a great looking engraving. I have to ask, is that goat smiling? He looks like a really happy guy.

Jim

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Andrew,
From what a friend in the computer business that goes to NZ says. The whole island usually in a good humour.
Nice job.
Jim

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
first paid job

a smackin dandy lookin piece, sir ! the critter looks as real in the metal as in the foto !:D :)

dclevinger

Elite Cafe Member
Wonderful job Andrew. I really like the way you shaded around the chamois to make it stand out from the scrollwork. Keep it up.
David

Last edited:

bronc

Elite Cafe Member
Andrew,
To quote you quoting Marty: "abso#$%^&lutely beautiful". I love your engraving, and your comic relief. Thank you so much for sharing your many talents with us.
Stewart

Cody

Elite Cafe Member
Great job Andrew. However, you kinda put the cart before the horse. The piece should have been inlaid BEFORE engraving. To do a first rate inlay the piece is typically inlaid and dressed down with the wood for a seamless fit. It will be quite the challenge for whoever is to do the inlay to do the job worthy of the engraving with the engraveing already done. I really like your style.

M

mcrapo

WOW - great job. Love the life you engraving has. It is beautiful.

Mike

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Very nice Andrew!

I know you have not been engraving all that long but I do know this. The way your work is constantly improving you are going to be a force to recon with in the engraving world. Well done Andrew!:cool:

msar24

Andrew,

Very nice. I'm really impressed by your scroll work and the way you incorporate the wildlife of NZ into your work.

ddushane

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Very Very Nice Andrew, The son should be very proud to have that in the stock of the gun, Thanks for posting. Dwayne

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Andrew, that's a beautifully executed piece of work. Your rapid improvement is simply frightening! / Sam

jlseymour

Elite Cafe Member
Andrew you are an inpersation to us thats just learning to engrave...
You are a natural artist with alot talent...
Very Nice and look foward to seeing more...
Jerry

Andrew Biggs

Thanks everyone for those wonderful comments. I really appreciate that. It was a lovley wee project to do and took a total of 16 hours from start to finish to cut the disk and engrave. That dosn't include the drawing time.

Cody.............you're right. The metal should have been inlayed first. But the inlay guy said it was no problem for him to pop it in when I'm done as the side of the stock is pretty flat where it's going. I just hope he's right!!!!

Cheers
Andrew

Andrew Biggs

I must also add that my progress has been very satisfying because of a few people that have been willing to help me out and critique my work and offer suggestions of how it can be improved. John B, Rex Pedersen, Marty Rabeno, Marcus Hunt and quite a few others have never been shy about telling me ways to constantly improve the design or the technique without stifling the creative freedom. Sometimes my understanding of what they are saying takes a while to catch up.

The forums are a fantastic resource with a wealth of information and we are incredibly lucky to be able to access them. Particularly when you put it in the context of just how poorly 80% of the rest of the world lives.

An endless stream of books, videos, DVD’s, have all helped. I can honestly say that no matter what it is, there is a little gem of knowledge that can be gleaned from all of them. What price knowledge? Well, bloody expensive over a period of time but we only have one shot at this life so we may as well make it our best one.

The ultimate had to be going to the FEGA show in Reno and staying with my good friend John B. To be exposed to so much artistic talent and engraving was like going into visual overload and it took me months to settle down from that experience and in some ways, I don’t think I really have. If anything, it opened up a world that I never knew existed and made me more determined to improve my engraving skills and become a part of that world.

Cheers
Andrew

Jon C. Dake

Andrew, as usual your work is beautiful and I am sure that there is going to be one very proud lad when it gets instaled on his gun.

WDA

Andrew,

Beautifully done! I too am excited about becoming one of the insiders of the engraving world.
Such a beautiful way to express creative art. I am not near the level you are but am determined
to put in the time and pay my dues to become skilled enough to make my ideas come alive on metal.
Thanks for your wonderful posts, both the technical and the humorous. I think I speak for many
others saying we look forward to your insight and comments.

Thanks and best regards , Bill

Sponsors