Need some guidance

WMS

Jahn, my course syllabus lists Margret Wells as the instructor, not Rachel Wells. I am not sure if there is a relationship between the two.

Thread starter #27
I'm doing everything free hand, I found that an allen key worked better than a square blank rest the graver against as an angle reference. I made some semi-usable examples out of a punch set before I ordered a few blanks just to see if its for me.

Thread starter #31
Made a turn table for my practice plates until I can justify something nicer. Its a furniture leg from Home Depot resting in a hole drilled in a scrap piece of wood. I sanded everything down and also put a few pieces of paper under it and taped the edges for comfort. Its a piece of printer paper and a piece of magazine paper. No side to side wobble and it spins easily.

I'm still slipping a lot. I'm confident in the sharpness of my graver but these cheap plates I got on Amazon are a bit thinner than what the book I have recommends. I find myself wriggling the graver at times to get it going. Any guidance would be appreciated.

diyturntablevice.JPG diyvicebottom.JPG

Thread starter #32
I found the cause of the slipping, apparently I've been lifting my elbow off the table mid-cut to get more force and unintentionally causing the slip.

Sponsors