Need some guidance

WMS

Jahn, my course syllabus lists Margret Wells as the instructor, not Rachel Wells. I am not sure if there is a relationship between the two.

hdsport

Here was my progress for the evening. I think I got a useable tip on the graver after some polishing, I am getting ragged edges on my curved cuts still.
That looks better then my first attempt, I'm having issues just getting the gravers sharp. But I am not giving up!

Thymeless

I'm doing everything free hand, I found that an allen key worked better than a square blank rest the graver against as an angle reference. I made some semi-usable examples out of a punch set before I ordered a few blanks just to see if its for me.

horologist

If any of you central Florida folks plan to attend the Lakeland gun show in January feel free to drop by our tables D7 & D8 in Hangar A.

Troy

Thymeless

Made a turn table for my practice plates until I can justify something nicer. Its a furniture leg from Home Depot resting in a hole drilled in a scrap piece of wood. I sanded everything down and also put a few pieces of paper under it and taped the edges for comfort. Its a piece of printer paper and a piece of magazine paper. No side to side wobble and it spins easily.

I'm still slipping a lot. I'm confident in the sharpness of my graver but these cheap plates I got on Amazon are a bit thinner than what the book I have recommends. I find myself wriggling the graver at times to get it going. Any guidance would be appreciated.

diyturntablevice.JPG diyvicebottom.JPG

Thymeless

I found the cause of the slipping, apparently I've been lifting my elbow off the table mid-cut to get more force and unintentionally causing the slip.

Latest posts

Sponsors