Need some guidance

Thymeless

Aspiring hobbyist here.

I wanted to dip my toe in the water to see if this is something I'm interested in pursuing.

I purchased a couple of GRS blanks, some stones I saw recommended online and a basic rosewood handle of Amazon.

I think I may have ordered the wrong size handle, blank or both. I'm just trying to put together a simple hand push engraver to try to follow along to the copy of "The Jewelry Engravers Manual" that I picked up.

Could someone please point me in the right direction to get started?

Attachments

• DSC_1317.JPG
    DSC_1317.JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 141
  • DSC_1318.JPG
    DSC_1318.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 140

Sinterklaas

Elite Cafe Member
GRS blanks are shorter. They are meant for GRS style handpieces. You need longer/traditional gravers. Or buy GRS handpiece, they have them also for push engraving.

Or get a brass rod. Drill hole in it the size of your graver. Then glue it in there. And put the brass rod in to the handle. Cut the brass to the length you want.

Thymeless

Thanks! I figured that was the issue but wanted to be sure. So these blanks are for the air graver style, but could be used with the GRS quick change handles for push graving?

Any other tips for a beginner?

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
All is not lost. Before making changes try them as is.
Many push engravers use them at that length.
Their forefinger is drawn back and touching their middle digit and their thumb pinches the graver against their forefinger.
Give it a try using a soft copper practice plate until you build up the required control and strength in your fingers and palm.
A lot of small cuts require no forward push.
Just a steady squeeze of the hand to bring the palm forward to move the graver forward between your pinched finger and thumb.
And remember, most of the time the cut is made by turning the work into the graver.
Not by pushing the graver into the work.
Protect your non-graver hand from slips and graver stabs by mounting your practice plate in such a way, block of wood or ball vise that your holding/turning hand is below the graver level.
And do not allow curious children to watch you engrave. Their little faces and eyes are often at graver height and a slip could bring disaster.
Best of luck on your engraving journey and don't be afraid to post your early attempts.
Most of us are happy to help.

Thymeless

I ended up rigging a handle up by putting the graver into a pen style carbide scribe and cutting it down to length then drilling out the small graver handle to fit it. Its not perfect, but it allowed me to get the angle right while pushing.

I was definitely pushing too hard and at the wrong angle causing my graver tip to dive bomb into the copper practice plate. Thank you guys for the advice!

Currently I'm just working on control and trying to to let the graver keep going after the end of my line.

Stefan

Elite Cafe Member
The first steps are always difficult.
You'd better attend engraving courses and take a few lessons.
Buy the tool you need. An experienced teacher-engraver will tell you how to work with the tool, and on what metal. It will be very difficult, but practica

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
the bane of many beginners-- trying to dig too deep. push work in copper, if done at a reasonable depth and rate, does not require too much muscle. the better your sharpening technique, the easier the push becomes. your points must be really sharp, and at least a fair degree of polish to them. at least 600 grit. 1000 even better.
sharpening with your diamond stone, although quite dooable, must also be mastered to a point where the graver just seems to smoothly slice thru the metal.
much to learn, but all is available these days. time brings it all together. good luck.

Thymeless

Here was my progress for the evening. I think I got a useable tip on the graver after some polishing, I am getting ragged edges on my curved cuts still.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 127

WMS

Thymeless, if you would be willing the share the area you are from, perhaps there is someone near you who would be willing to help. I'm in Prescott Arizona and have enrolled in the Yavappi College engraving class tough by the gunsmithing department which starts in mid January. I hope to learn much.

Thymeless

Prescott is beautiful, if you haven't already take a weekend and go to slide rock and Gerome!

I'm in Central FL.

edgrabow15

Elite Cafe Member
Aspiring hobbyist here.

I wanted to dip my toe in the water to see if this is something I'm interested in pursuing.

I purchased a couple of GRS blanks, some stones I saw recommended online and a basic rosewood handle of Amazon.

I think I may have ordered the wrong size handle, blank or both. I'm just trying to put together a simple hand push engraver to try to follow along to the copy of "The Jewelry Engravers Manual" that I picked up.

Could someone please point me in the right direction to get started?
Don't get Discouraged . IT WILL GET EASIER. make sure to know where the non pushing hand is at all times when guiding the work, It hurts like hell if and When that Graver slips and stabs you in the other hand. It can ruin the rest of your day, Good luck. You'll do Great.

Latest posts

Sponsors