New GRS Engraving system

zzcutter

Elite Cafe Member
I heard through the grapevine that GRS is coming out with a new system, just wondering if there is any truth to this?

Travis Fry

Looks cool, but is it just a repackaging of the same system(s) with a slightly different configuration? I've heard rumors that it has improved function, but those comments so far have been made by known GRS insiders that can hardly be considered unbiased. Can anyone break down the actual differences/improvements?

Last edited:

T.G.III

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
I'm good, my current equipment will carry beyond the rabbit hole that engulfed me.

Crazy Horse

Elite Cafe Member
A steal at a whopping $2395!!!
Why do all these pneumatic devices have to cost so much??? I'd love to see the profit margin on these items.
I can buy one hell of a lot of gravers, liners, and chisels for that kind of money.

I'm taking my "Classic" to my grave.

sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Looks cool, but is it just a repackaging of the same system(s) with a slightly different configuration? I've heard rumors that it has improved function, but those comments so far have been made by known GRS insiders that can hardly be considered unbiased. Can anyone break down the actual differences/improvements?
I'm a "biased" GRS insider and proud of it. Try it and see for yourself.

sam

Staff member
A steal at a whopping $2395!!!
Why do all these pneumatic devices have to cost so much??? I'd love to see the profit margin on these items.
I can buy one hell of a lot of gravers, liners, and chisels for that kind of money.

I'm taking my "Classic" to my grave.
Yes it’s expensive but a decent engraver can make that pay for itself in a few jobs. Or one job. When I hear people comment about the cost of engraving systems I say buy a bass boat or a hunting lease and gear. Or become a watchmaker where $2500 will barely buy any professional tools.

Travis Fry

I'm a "biased" GRS insider and proud of it. Try it and see for yourself.
Wasn't intended as a knock on you Sam, but I would like to see more people talk about their experiences with the new system. I'm a GRS guy too, but I also am not made of money and need upgrades to actually be worth it. This one may or may not be--too soon to tell. Can anyone break down actual functional differences or improvements? That would help, if the feedback was specific.

sam

Staff member
GRS's goals:
  1. Develop a machine that captures the power of the old GraverMax without giving up the finesse of the GravetrMach/G8/AT
  2. Create an Airtact handpiece that arrived to the customer ready to use. No adjustments, and MUST be intuitive.
Machine/pedal upgrades:
  • Increased power (common response = 20% more, some report as much as 30%)
  • Redesigned foot pedal
    • Improved start-up (our goal was to maintain the same start-up of previous models but all reports indicate the start-up has improved)
    • Redesigned so there’s no more periodical “resetting” needed.
    • Quieter – reduced leakage
    • By reducing the leakage, we also increased protection against the elements of a dirty shop. Debris will get lodged between the bleed shaft and outlet and cause damage with the current design (excess leakage and eventually failure)
  • Custom stainless steel switches with precision placement. (Hard stops to let the user know the transition is complete – can’t accidentally leave the h/p selector knob in the middle anymore)
  • Stainless Steel push-to-connect QC fittings with nickel-plated brass outside body
  • Upgraded motor and resigned mounting – new motor position will increase longevity and protect against oil/water contamination
  • Smaller footprint, takes up less space on the bench
Upgrades to Airtact (including handpiece)
  • Improved actuation – more intuitive (most intuitive actuation we’ve ever tested on a GRS machine)
  • Plug-n-play – new AT handpieces are a comprehensive operating design with all parts built into it. No more stacking or messing with 2 different layers of plastic and rubber caps.
  • Equal performance when switching between foot and hand control.
For anybody that wants to upgrade in stages:
  • New GraverMax and Graversmith are backward compatible with all standard GRS handpieces (excluding Gravermeister h/p’s)
  • New 901-AT and Monarch-AT handpieces are compatible with old GraverMachATs , including any machine with the Airtact add-on option.
  • All old AT handpieces are forward-compatible with new GraverMachAT.

Mike Dubber

Elite Cafe Member
I bought mine as quick as I could. It's already on my bench and working. This is entirely new technology - not a rehash of the old AT Machine. The feel, the touch, the control: it's all there. The handpieces are unlike anything you've seen or felt before. I have no idea what's inside the case or the handpieces...they are just as much a mystery as the older machines. I'm an end user who demands the best performance an air powered engraving sysyem can deliver. This is a game changer, and it delivers.

I used to say that I could never adapt to hand control over my old time-tested and used foot control. I was wrong about that. I was 75% finished with this piece of work when I plugged in my new GraverMach*AT. I was able to switch to the new machine and go right back to work...with added control - sweet!

WWI&WWII_12.jpg

Travis Fry

I used to say that I could never adapt to hand control over my old time-tested and used foot control. I was wrong about that. I was 75% finished with this piece of work when I plugged in my new GraverMach*AT. I was able to switch to the new machine and go right back to work...with added control - sweet!

View attachment 53264
I have been using a Gravermach AT at school (vs. a G8 at home) and have struggled with the hand control. I have some time sensitive projects to finish that I've stuck with the foot pedal for, but after I'm done with that I'll start working through some practice plates with the hand control to see if I can make myself get used to it. I can certainly see the advantages, but that foot pedal sure is instinctive.

I'll come by and say hey at the Colt show in San Marcos here in a few weeks--heard you were going to be there.

Mike and Sam both: that's the kind of feedback I was hoping for.

Everyone else, let's hear about your experiences with the new system(s) as well.

Mike Dubber

Elite Cafe Member
Please stop by - we can talk. I'll explain how I use the AirTach handpieces on the new machine. Once gain - they operate entirely different than the original AT handpieces.

sam

Staff member
I’ve been using the new system for several months prior to release and my experience is similar to Mike‘s. The first thing I noticed when using the new Airtact handpiece was the imperceptible travel of the knob as the handpiece comes to life with a gentle squeeze. I had to look at it under my microscope to see the .1 to .2mm of movement.

I’ve only briefly tested the Monarch version and most of the GRS instructors commented on its power boost which makes it even more versatile. I’m anxious to spend more time with that handpiece.

If anyone has ever overlooked the water trap and gotten water or oil into their rotary valve or motor, that can’t happen with the new machine as they are now oriented in a way to prevent that.

My air compressor cycles less than with the old machine and the larger and more precise foot pedal is most welcome. Switches are improved and are short throw and very crisp and positive.

Pedal or palm is a matter of personal preference. I can produce the same quality work with either one, but I rarely use the pedal unless I’m stippling or using sculpting punches where I’m holding the handpiece upright and not in my palm. I’ve been a dedicated Airtact user since it was first introduced a couple of decades ago.

The new system is a very nice, solid upgrade with more power when you need it and more finesse for doing the finest and most delicate shading.

JMiller

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for the breakdown review Sam & Mike… I use the classic but foresee switching to a GRS system in the near future. It’s a quality product that will more than likely have longevity in terms of availability and customer service.

Latest posts

Sponsors