New member seeking critiquing or advise.

ByrnBucks

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
I have been on a lone journey into the world of engraving. I’ve been practicing in some form over the past two years but only began using a proper graver in April of this year. I am using the Lindsay sharping system, a 5$ wooden handle, a rotating ball vise, and magnifying headset. My only influence until now have been google image searches for inspiration and opinions from two trusted coworkers. I feel like reached a point hand pushing where I’m actually making something somewhat presentable. As a result I made the knowingly poor decision of purchasing a 200$ pneumatic engraving machine and handle too see if I could or should make the leap to power. I was not displeased with the resulting lessons that power has presented to me. I am now ready and confident enough to share some of my work and become a part of the engraving community. Please if anyone has any advise or notes on where my work stands now I’d love the input of anybody willing to offer it. Also any recommendations of any artist or literature to study for someone starting out would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much for reading this and I am honored to welcomed into this community. 44E1DC1C-E273-437D-B168-346F3593BFCB.jpeg 298A806E-38B7-4576-96AF-78DC6F017718.jpeg A738A2FC-6F6F-4F4B-BFCF-F2F1816EDF27.jpeg 527FC0B2-9530-48CF-BEA6-F7F0318383EE.jpeg 963FF1A5-B55B-4BBF-A7E5-66B652FEE1FD.jpeg 4BFB7FC8-BEBA-4A7D-83BF-FFBF5D379895.jpeg BD2C568B-6F2D-44A2-B81E-CEAA4F8ECD79.jpeg EA3B2241-523F-452E-BAE4-72399DDAB326.png 521DD01B-A257-4109-AEE0-09C71022CBFE.png

monk

Staff member
welcome to the forum. you show a lack of graver control. it shows in the lines you have cut. another comes to mind, that of drawing skill. both will improve with a serious attitude towards practice. to achieve reasonablle results, a great deal of practice is required. look around, practice short curved and straight lines. strive for lines of equal width/depth. this art is difficult to master. take time to enjoy this .

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Byrn,
Welcome to the Cafe forum and your engraving journey.
Again, it would be a help to you if you posted your general location in your bio.
An engraver in your area might invite you for a visit and get you going on the right track.
James B, Meek's book, The Art of Engraving would be a good study.

Matthew Evans

Elite Cafe Member
Welcome! Many great responses so far, but here’s my own take.
-Sam Alfanos scroll drawing dvd (any educational material from him for that matter)
-Ron Smiths advanced drawing of scrolls

-Practice thin to thick lines
-Practice circles
-Practice with a pencil like your life depends on it.
-Get one solid graver geometry and get good at sharpening.
If you can’t draw it, you can’t engrave it. Use this site like a manual and either start from the beginning or use the sitesearch option with google for best results.
Have some fun while your at it; it’s a long uphill climb.

ByrnBucks

welcome to the forum. you show a lack of graver control. it shows in the lines you have cut. another comes to mind, that of drawing skill. both will improve with a serious attitude towards practice. to achieve reasonablle results, a great deal of practice is required. look around, practice short curved and straight lines. strive for lines of equal width/depth. this art is difficult to master. take time to enjoy this .
Thank you, I will have to admit to going straight for designs and not making many practice cuts at all. I do lack drawing skills and didn’t consider it to be a hindrance. I hoped since the pencil had never served me well that maybe the graver could be the instrument I would learn to put lines where they need to be. I very much appreciate the advise.

ByrnBucks

Welcome! Many great responses so far, but here’s my own take.
-Sam Alfanos scroll drawing dvd (any educational material from him for that matter)
-Ron Smiths advanced drawing of scrolls

-Practice thin to thick lines
-Practice circles
-Practice with a pencil like your life depends on it.
-Get one solid graver geometry and get good at sharpening.
If you can’t draw it, you can’t engrave it. Use this site like a manual and either start from the beginning or use the sitesearch option with google for best results.
Have some fun while your at it; it’s a long uphill climb
Thank you for the advice. I did not realize I needed to spend more time with a pencil. Looking though a few other threads of beginners asking for help that seems to be the main consensus. I appreciate your recommendations and time.

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I like the set.. giving me medieval illuminated illustration vibes.. or Russian folk art... one of my favourite artists works in this style.. but i forget his name at the moment. Don’t judge me.

ByrnBucks

I like the set.. giving me medieval illuminated illustration vibes.. or Russian folk art... one of my favourite artists works in this style.. but i forget his name at the moment. Don’t judge me.
Thank you very much. I will search for your description I am not familiar but I am just beginning and am looking for inspiration.

thughes

As Dave said, Scott Pilkington is in Monteagle and he is a FEGE master and a great guy, but is very busy. Also as Dave said, lessons are money well spent.

I live in Kingston Springs, about 20 mi west of Nashville. I am certainly no Master engraver, but you are welcome to come by my place, try out my tools, and I'll share what little I know.

Todd

ByrnBucks

As Dave said, Scott Pilkington is in Monteagle and he is a FEGE master and a great guy, but is very busy. Also as Dave said, lessons are money well spent.

I live in Kingston Springs, about 20 mi west of Nashville. I am certainly no Master engraver, but you are welcome to come by my place, try out my tools, and I'll share what little I know.

Todd
Thank you very much Sir. I very much appreciate your time and willingness to share your knowledge of the this wonderful art. I will certainly be in touch.

Thanks again
Dustin Byrn

Jubean

hey, are you hammering out your own pieces of copper? also do you print these intaglio style or are they done as is?

Sponsors