New to the Cafe

mn.danger

Greetings all,

I'd like to introduce myself to the members. My name is Damon and I live in Oklahoma City. I am new to the forum and new to engraving, as in I am a complete 'noob'.

I came across this forum looking for an answer to a problem I was having. Thankfully, the post from Powderhorn in the tips section walking through his transfer process gave me what I needed, thank you for that Powderhorn!

I really enjoy machining, metal work, material science and....art! I have a a lot crazy ideas, so I look forward to sharing and learning all I can.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
welcome. do your interests include engraving ? if they do, you've come to the right place. there are questions, now and then, regarding metal working. we may learn from you too.

mn.danger

Oh yeah, heh heh...and engraving! I guess I should have mentioned, 'engraving in metal'. Here are a couple of pictures of my second and third carvings. I am working with a dental handpiece, so if anyone has any experience with that kind of tool, please feel free to reach out to me!

Attachments

• astronoaut skull.2019.09.03.jpg
    astronoaut skull.2019.09.03.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 61
  • gentleman skull.2019.09.03.jpg
    gentleman skull.2019.09.03.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 61

mn.danger

I carved this one tonight

Attachments

• guy fawkes.2019.09.09.jpg
    guy fawkes.2019.09.09.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 26

mn.danger

I read on Sam's website that he uses enamel paint to black out his carvings, so I tried that also. I think they turned out 'ok', but I certainly feel they could be better. If anyone has any tips they want to share, please do!

Attachments

• astronaut skull black.2019.09.09.jpg
    astronaut skull black.2019.09.09.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 17
  • gentleman skull black.2019.09.09.jpg
    gentleman skull black.2019.09.09.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 18
  • guy fawkes black.2019.09.09.jpg
    guy fawkes black.2019.09.09.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 17

mn.danger

Wasn't entirely happy with the Guy Fawkes carve, so i tried to deepen the eyes, clean up the border and reblack. Still feels rough, but better?

Attachments

• 20190911_192823.jpg
    20190911_192823.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 25

Jonathan.Silas

Elite Cafe Member
Wasn't entirely happy with the Guy Fawkes carve, so i tried to deepen the eyes, clean up the border and reblack. Still feels rough, but better?

I think your coming along well considering the tool your using. I've got a NSK presto myself and love it for wood and bone and for removing background. But with any rotary tool it's going to be difficult to get precise cuts like you can with a graver. It would most certainly be enlightening for you to read through "The art of engraving" by James Meek I dont know many folks interested in this field that haven't benefited from the information he provides. Also I'm fond of "Engraving historic firearms " by John Schippers both are incredibly helpful to budding engravers myself included.

mn.danger

I think your coming along well considering the tool your using. I've got a NSK presto myself and love it for wood and bone and for removing background. But with any rotary tool it's going to be difficult to get precise cuts like you can with a graver. It would most certainly be enlightening for you to read through "The art of engraving" by James Meek I dont know many folks interested in this field that haven't benefited from the information he provides. Also I'm fond of "Engraving historic firearms " by John Schippers both are incredibly helpful to budding engravers myself included.

Thanks for the feedback, it is greatly appreciated. I will check out those books. Have you have any experience with trying to make a smooth floor with your NSK?

Jonathan.Silas

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for the feedback, it is greatly appreciated. I will check out those books. Have you have any experience with trying to make a smooth floor with your NSK?
It can be done but it takes FARRR longer than just using a flat graver. Use a bigger burr to remove the bulk of material, then switch over to a pointed cone and try to use the "Side" of it to flatten the tops of the mounds left by the burr. Then when things are relatively flat, texture the background with your smallest burr. Flip it 90 degrees then texture again.... it's just easier to do with proper tools.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
mn,danger.Looking at your work you need help,get some engraving tools rotary tool are not the way to go and try to get with an engraver in your area for help. J.J.

mn.danger

JJ, I appreciate the feedback. I figured i would end up getting into hand engraving sooner or later. Does anyone know of someone I could talk to in the Oklahoma City area?

And, I really do like my little handpiece, but I am interested in learning about conventional engraving as well. Looked at the GRS classes currently available, but they are full, so I'll have to wait for the basic class in 2020...

Last edited:

mn.danger

It can be done but it takes FARRR longer than just using a flat graver. Use a bigger burr to remove the bulk of material, then switch over to a pointed cone and try to use the "Side" of it to flatten the tops of the mounds left by the burr. Then when things are relatively flat, texture the background with your smallest burr. Flip it 90 degrees then texture again.... it's just easier to do with proper tools.

Johnathan, than you for the info, I appreciate it. I have a couple of ideas I would like to try and I will definitely try this. Even if I don't get the result I'm looking for, it will be good experience. I seem to learn from failure.....a lot :)

JJ Roberts

mn.danger, You may want to start learning how to drawing before you even think about engraving. J.J.

mn.danger

JJ, I have been drawing most of my life. Not exactlly "Picasso" but I'd say my skills were above average (slightly) :)

So, for my own edification, are you saying, as a general principle spend some time working on drawing to improve ones engraving or something else?

JJ Roberts

No something else if you can learn to draw you'll be successfully as an engraver,it's an art.Just look at the engraving of some of engravers on the forum they went out of there way to get were they are today. J.J.

Latest posts

Sponsors