New Transfer Tips

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
For me I printed on the rough side, black only and it worked good. I did an old printout and new same result. Maybe this works for other printers and not the epson and hp. I used a lexmark z23.

ED DELORGE

Elite Cafe Member
I was attempting to transfef lettering only, and it gave a good negetive result which would be fine if letters were all one is doing. Maybe the problem is in not using the right type of transparentcy or the right type of ink. I do refill my ink cartridges ? Maybe Todd owns stock in Sharpie or 3M.

Todd Daniels

For those of you who may be having mixed results, please keep in mind that you must first clean the plate with alcohol or acetone and let it dry completely. Then, apply the permanent sharpie marker onto the plate. This must also be completely dry before going on to the next step. (Check to see if the marker ink is dry by touching lightly with your finger and see if any fingerprints are left on the ink. If so, the ink is not dry.)
Once the marker ink is totally dry, the plate is ready to receive the image from the transparency. I like 3M brand best. Print on the rough side (normal side used for printing). Place transparency face down and burnish. Please keep posting your results so we can figure out how to make this work for everybody. Thanks - Todd

ED DELORGE

Elite Cafe Member
Hello Todd, thanks for all of your effort. I know we work this out eventually. I have followed your recepit exactly. I even let the sharpie dry an hour at one point just to make sure. yes I print on the rough side and I only have black ink im my printer. For the most part the ink on the transparentcy picks up the dry sharpie solution. Maybe the problem is in the model of HP printer or the ink ? Tomorrow I will buy some 3M transparentcies, the product number you use. I did notice when I start to print and go to Prefrences and Type of paper or transparentcies, that there were listed several types and qualities of transparentcies to choose to print to. I find the office depot brand that I have is very rough. It feels like 220 grit sand paper. I have tried burnishing lightly and very hard with the same results.

Thanks again

Ed DeLorge

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Todd gave me a call and we tried to figure out why the mixed results with this technique. I am using a HP printer that uses their VIVERA inks which is what Todd is using since we have the same printers. The ink is the only variable that I can think of which would determine success or not at this point in time. I am also using Hammermil transparancies that i get at walmart.
Marty

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
image transfers

hp5440 printer with "vivera" on front 3-m laser transparency plastic -with or without sharpies- transfers very fine line detail. the ink does require some time to dry, however. requires only moderate pressure to burnish. i'm not aware of what side of the plastic i did my test prints on. prints on the sharpie don't rub off. if you transfer onto a non sharpied surface, you'll have to use a spritz of fixatiff, or at least be very careful, as the lines will easily rub off. this works so well, i'm no longer looking for a transfer method. this is the technique i will be using. thank you very much !!:)

Tom White

I have watched this thread and debated on whether to get involved, because of my transfer magic product, but considering the amount of money you can spend trying to get this right I have the following information to offer.

Experiment, Experiment,

Some interesting imformation.
The store brand of films can and do vary from coast to coast or even store to store as they are nothing more than low bid contracts this includes Office Max, Staples, Walmart, Kinkos and others.
If you purchase ink in someplace like E-bay it may be the same ink tank but the ink in the imports , the ones you can not read the packaging, is not the same as the domestic tanks. 3M also offers many different versions of film with different bonding surfaces not all will work the same just because it is 3M.

Variables, Variables

Remember that the sharpie ink is Permanent be careful not to get it on any porus surface it will be there forever. It will also stain some cast gun receiver material if you are going to leave the item in the white this seems to be more on cast receivers and parts than billet machined parts. Use Caution. KEEP IT AWAY FROM IVORY THE SOLVENTS IN THE SHARPIE WILL PENETRATE THE WAX OR SEALER AND YOU WILL HAVE COLORED IVORY!!!!!!

I actually tried this very early on in my own efforts to transfer there are a lot of variables to consider. Good Luck!!!! and have fun. Keep the chips flying.

Tom White

Last edited:

Tom White

Ed,

I have sent you an email with all of the information if you have any other questions just ask. I am always willing to assist.

Tom

ED DELORGE

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Tom, I am looking forward to seeing what you have.

Hello Todd, Ken Hurst and any one else who might want to know. I went to office Depot and bought some real Hp ink for my printer, and yes the process worked. I used the same office Depot brand transparencies. So, the ink makes a difference.

Ed DeLorge

jmcutting

Hey there, well I started off very frusturated with this whole process... I had picked up some transparicies at Walmart and some sharpies but it wouldn't work no matter what I tried. So today I stoped and picked up some 3M transparicies and was pretty sceptical but was amazed how easy it was...

Great tip!!!

-justin

coincutter

Elite Cafe Member
for all of you who got it to work
what printer cartridge and printer and brand of transparency

at 50 bucks a package people cant afford to do too much experiementation

Todd Daniels

transfer tips

Coincutter,
I have been using HP printer, Vivera ink, 3M Transparency Film for Inkjet Printers #CG3480, and a permanent light colored Sharpie marker. There are other combinations that are working according to the post.
Don't forget to clean the metal transfer area with alcohol or acetone first and let dry completely. Also be sure to apply the permanent marker to the metal transfer area and let it dry completely before transferring the image. Hope this helps! Todd

for all of you who got it to work
what printer cartridge and printer and brand of transparency

at 50 bucks a package people cant afford to do too much experiementation

Todd Daniels

You may already be doing this, but to save on transparencies while you are experimenting, print a test copy of the image on paper first. Then, cut a piece of transparency and tape it (printable side up) over the image. Use just enough transparency to cover the image completely. Now that the transparency is lined up with where the image prints, run the paper back through the printer so that the image is printed directly on the piece of transparency. This way one piece of transparency can be cut and used for more than one run. Todd

jmcutting

Coincutter,

I am using the 3M CG6000 Multipurpose Transparicies I got at OfficeMax and a Dell Photo All-In-One Printer Model #962.

I understand that these can be expensive but what I have done while testing is create a canvas the size of my transparacy then place an image in the top left corner. Tried it then went and placed another image on the canvas alongside the original and reprinted it after deleting the original image....

-justin

Sponsors