New Transfer Tips

coincutter

Elite Cafe Member
for you mac users there is a relatively simple work around and its pretty much the same on pc
you need to go in and change the image to a pure b&w 1 bit image thereby eliminating any color output. Any image that is not 1 bit even though it looks like its b&w on screen will have color information embedded in the file - it will have more going on than you can see - rbg or cymk encoding is the issue. There are many shades and variations of black in the printing world and mac being the ultimate printing graphics toy is designed to address these issues so blacks can be warm or cold and blend in with sophisticated art layouts and not look harsh.

By reducing the image to 1 bit you have only black and nothing else. So black will be solid and white will be clear.

its takes some tweedling - when R. Cameron was her we hooked his mac to my hp and epsons and it drove us nuts with the off color images on the transparencies.

You will have to readjust the gamma to get on screen relationship to equal print output
what appears as a faint light grey on screen will print pure black. Contrast will probably not be something you will need to mess with as there is none. The only thing is the quantity of black ink you will be pumping and it will be more than is required to do a transfer. SO much in fact that you may have to wait a while for the transparency to dry down to avoid smudging.

When you get it right save it as a controled printer setting and you can repeat it for other graphics
if you want to make life simple

http://www.tinrocket.com/software/hyperdither/
ther are probably a zillion other utilities that can be had for free if you google enough

good luck

Andrew Biggs

On my little el-cheapo HP injet I make the fill or pen colour in Photoshop or Coreldraw CYMK black (0-0-0-100)........then take out the colour cartridge (you cant fiddle with my printing settings either) and then print so it's only the black cartridge working.............works everytime

Cheers
Andrew

rhenrichs

Elite Cafe Member
I have a HP D4160 to print B&W click on print- when the print box opens go to preferences and click - on the page that opens go to the menu on the upper left and click on color - on the page that opens change color setting to gray scale - click on the OK and you're in business

Roger

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I used my lexmark and a red sharpie wow it works fabulous and effortless. Your a frickin genius Todd. All the ****ing around with varnish and printers and this works so simply. Hats of to you man.
They do make a wide sharpie in colors.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
transfer tips

i did score some regular sharpies. it works very well. an xtra plus for me it also allows the transfer of patterns onto glass ! very handy to do quick, accurate transfers straight out of corel onto say wedding glasses for hand monogramming instead of the laser ! that's a double yippee !:D

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
ellsworth, i printed one on a sharpie ground that was about 4 hours old. color orange. worked fine on glass. and-- wouldn't rub off !

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The transfer I used had been laying around for a couple months, and it worked fine. It wasn't a picture it was very dark lettering though.

coincutter

Elite Cafe Member
This a stellar development in ink jet transfer

I went out yesterday and bought a pack of the colored sharpies
and will try some transfers that are a year old to see what happens.
Considering they still work well with my normal method I imagine they will work fine
with the sharpie.

There must be some residual moist element that attacks the ink specifically
whether it acts as a liquid film or as a fume based on the results Monk had) it sounds like the end all to the ink jet transfer proces for glass, metals and a variety of nonstaining materials which can be cleaned off with alcohol.

I would not attempt using this technique on ivory or synthetics, various natural materials for knives or anything porus as the sharpies will find their way into the material and stain it.

I am not saying that it can't be made to work. Perhaps a clear sealer of sorts underneath the sharpie would do the trick as it seems there is something in their formula which likes ink and since ink is not a polymer a base coat of acryllic or pure Gouache should hold.

This could open up a whole new world of engraving.

Well it must be back to the store time!

I tried the red and green permanent sharpies with the chisle tip on a nice clean spiderco.
Doesn't work at all with any of my existing transfers
So its either ink specific or there is a different formula in the markers I have which do not come in orange - the pack has red blue green and black.
I tried it when they were wet and dry and a number of times in between.
All dark ink transfers and burnished the heck out of them.

Were you guys using the "school" flavor highlighters or the industrial flavored markers like i got.
Clues?

Last edited:

coincutter

Elite Cafe Member
OK, I give up and profess stupidity.

Can someone please take a picture of these wizard markers so i can go get the right one

I've tried it with epson and hp and nothing is working. Has to be the marker type or they just don't work at high altitude!

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stupidity????? hhmm OK High altitude??????? nah It worked for me and I am up higher than you. Print in black ink only.

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
My HP is working fine..using the same settings as with tranfer magic....Using light green since that is what I had on hand.... Once agin.B&W or greyscale is no good You have to print in black ink only. Other than that..go figure since I can't. Did you talk nice to the Sharpie for 3 minutes before using it?

coincutter

Elite Cafe Member
my transfer stuff works fine yet the sharpie doesnt do squat to the ink
maybe i have to take the cover off the thing instead of just pointing it at the transfer

maybe its a matter of contact time - how long did you leave it in place before burnish
coulld be solar flares

JCP

Some transfers may not be working because you are printing on the rough side , try the slick side also and it will probably work.:)

ED DELORGE

Elite Cafe Member
O.K. I bought Sharpies, I had some office depot brand transparentcies, I have a HP 3820 printer with only black ink in it, print in black only. When I go through the process the ink dose not come off the transparentcy the sharpie comes off the plate and adheers to the letters on the transparentcy.

Any one have any suggestions?

Sponsors