New Transfer Tips

Todd Daniels

I wanted to post two transferring tips that I shared with the students in my "Monogram and Script Engraving" class last week at GRS. I hope you find them helpful.
1) Making Chinese white more like transfer wax:
First, wet your finger and rub it on a bar of Kirk's Original Coco Castile soap, then rub that onto the metal plate.
Next, dip your finger in Chinese white and rub that onto the plate mixing it into the soapy film.
Finally, let the solution dry (just a minute or so).
Now you can draw or transfer on the dried solution.
The benefit to mixing the soap into the Chinese white is that the soap prevents the Chinese white from flaking off and gives you a more durable transfer surface than Chinese white alone.

2) Super Durable Transfer Process:
First, clean the plate with acetone or alcohol and let dry.
Then, use a regular sharpie permanent marker (preferably a lighter color like red, orange or yellow) to completely color the transfer area and let dry completely.
Now, take the image that has been printed by an inkjet printer on a transparency film (I used 3M Transparency Film for Inkjet printers #CG3480 and an HP Photosmart All-in-One printer) and place printed image face down onto the prepared surface.
Burnish, and the image will transfer very clearly and will be very durable.
I have found these simple processes to work as well as other solution-based transfer methods. I find it amazing that this simple sharpie solution will receive an inkjet printed image so well. Try it and post what you think! Todd

Todd Daniels

Hi Todd,
Thanks for your transfer tips. May I know do you need to apply any varnish before you put the film on the metal and burnish it?

Zernike
Hi Zernike,
Thanks for your question. No other solutions are needed other than what is stated in the tips. Please let me know if you have other questions! I'm glad to help. Todd

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Todd
I tried the Sharpie on a steel ruler with an old transfer that has been sittiing around for a while..the darn thing worked great........now tell me true............did you figure this out all for yourself or like most brilliant discoveries...get lucky?

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I have to admit I'm suspicious of Todd and his discoveries. I think he masquerades as an engraver and teacher, but in reality he's a mad scientist working in a lab somewhere. Whether I'm right or wrong doesn't matter...he DOES come up with some excellent ideas!!

Thanks, Todd / ~Sam

Jude

I was fortunate enough to be able to attend Todd's class and highly recommend both the instructor and the facility. I enjoyed a wonderful week of learning a ton about lettering and layout, graver geometry and cool tips as mentioned. I feel the class has chopped years off the learning curve in my lettering ability and it was time and money well spent. GRS is fortunate to have Todd teaching a class for them.
Jude
(and the Sharpie tip really does work)

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
something fishy's going on. i bought 4 sharpie highlighter markers- the only other sharpie stuff was black. the highlighter colors, red, orange, yellow, and blue all worked. now to the fishy part. part of the pattern to be transferred went way beyond the area that i colored with the markers. i burnished, and even the area not colored with the highlighter, picked up a perfect inkliftoff ! the designs printed on the transparency material were printed about 3 weeks ago on an hp inkjet. perfect results with no damar, acetone, varnish, shellac,and no secret ingredients. it is mindful of the way the old dry transfer designs worked. give this a try, i hope it works for you all too. the design was a bit fragile and would need a spritz of clear fixatiff to prevent ruboff.

Sam

Staff member
Ah ha! I figured it out! Todd obviously owns stock in the Sharpie company!

Todd Daniels

The point of this method is not that the design transfers, but is the durability of the transferred design. Make sure you use a permanent Sharpie marker (not a highlighter). The transferred image will be durable and stable and requires no fixative (as opposed to what you found when you noted that your design was a bit fragile using a highlighter). The transferred image should not fade, wipe off, bleed, etc. No other surface treatment is needed other than pre-cleaning. The marker surface is very thin and will not peel off. The beauty of this method is that a simple process yields an extremely durable transfer.
Oh by the way, Sam, I have no stock in the Sharpie company, but maybe I should!! Hmmm…

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hey Todd
Ever try this with a Magic Marker???? They have a flat broad tip as opposed to the pointed Sharpies. Might be easier to cover a larger area with one of those. I don't have one on hand but I will try and get one while in town to try it out. The sharpie worked great.
Marty

Sam

Staff member
Todd: I've not tried this yet, but will as soon as I get some colored Sharpies.

Do you print normally or do you have to select BLACK INK ONLY in the printer software? With my HP Deskjet printer, printing black isn't truly black. A combination of colors are used in conjunction with black. I can see the colored dots under the micrscope, and these don't transfer using the solutions I have, and the printer software doesn't allow for true black-only printing.

Todd Daniels

The Sharpie brand has a chisel tip marker, making it easier to apply than the fine point tips. This is what I have used. I would think it would work with other brands of permanent marker, though.. let me know. Todd

Hey Todd
Ever try this with a Magic Marker???? They have a flat broad tip as opposed to the pointed Sharpies. Might be easier to cover a larger area with one of those. I don't have one on hand but I will try and get one while in town to try it out. The sharpie worked great.
Marty

coincutter

Elite Cafe Member
monk
most hp inks generallly do not set up over time like epson cannon and a few other inks do
humidiity is a factor
were you drooling on the object again
not many people engrave barbie dolls like you do

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Hi Todd.
I see that Marty is printing in the Black Ink Only setting on the machine.
Is this what you do or is it just a regular B/W print with the machine set for transparencies?
Thanks for sharing your great tip with us.
John B.

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
John
I am printing with these settings for my HP printer.
I'm using Hammermill transparancies
I set the printer for black ink only...regular paper even though i am using transparancies and "best" resolution.
If you don't print in black ink only you will get a mish mosh of colors making a blackish type of ink that will not work. The old transfer print I tried out was one I used for the transfer magic technique.

I'd still like to know what mind altering drugs Todd was on as he came up with this formula.

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It's that SMELL of the Sharpies!!!
Thanks Todd. I have yet to try it but sounds like a winner!!!

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I just used the sharpie method on a pair of scope rings.............worked great..fast and easy.

I still want to know what those drugs were Todd
Thanks for the great tip

Marty

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam,

I too have been puzzled by the 'non-true' black limitation on Mac computers. What about taking out the color cartridges, or would that tell the printer not to work. Failing that, what about keeping one printer especially for transfer printing, and simply filling some empty color cartridges with black ink. I believe you can get refill ink of the same style, is it a dye based ink?

Rod

Sam

Staff member
I've had the same thoughts, Rod. I might try swapping the black and color cartridges in my printer to see if I can fool it. If it works, then maybe load the sucker with nothing but black cartridges. / ~Sam

Sponsors