new wildlife thread

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
Coming home from a mid shift years ago on Kodiak, a dragonfly flew over my shoulder out in front of me, did a half loop and grabbed a gnat out of the sky. It landed on a bush a few feet away and proceeded to have breakfast. I have been in love with dragonflies ever since and is why I named my property Odonata Station...Odonata being the family of Damselflies and Dragonflies.

kraftrourke

Coming home from a mid shift years ago on Kodiak, a dragonfly flew over my shoulder out in front of me, did a half loop and grabbed a gnat out of the sky. It landed on a bush a few feet away and proceeded to have breakfast. I have been in love with dragonflies ever since and is why I named my property Odonata Station...Odonata being the family of Damselflies and Dragonflies.

That's awesome! I don't know what it was eating exactly, but here's one finishing off a snack: 75D_8510.jpg
I didn't think fast enough to compose the eyes and the snack wing on the same plane of focus. I discovered it with much more insect intact and by the time I put the camera to my eye, it was nearly gone.

Last edited:

T.G.III

TG, Looks like your deer has a big. healed wound on the left side of it's neck and a smaller one on the left shoulder. Maybe battle scars or dog attack?

Yeah John they have a rough time here in these parts, may just be the product of blindly running into an unseen fence line at night (while being chased by dogs). My dogs were otherwise occupied and didn't know this one was lurking about, could've reached out the window at one point and touched it.

Chronic wasting disease has not been detected in Oregon, yet............

papart1

Hard to get it to pose but adds a whole new perspective to star gazing!!

View attachment 46595
Hi Sam..........with lots of tore open dead logs and scat everywhere on the farm I have yet to see one, low and behold a relative turkey hunting last week saw one......dang it!!.

T.G.III

Not sure where this guy came from as we no longer have much natural habitat for them this far from the river, may be an escapee from a farmed operation, nice to see none the less........

KIMG1756~2.JPG

KIMG1757~2.JPG

SamW

Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
Pap, I got an email from my next door neighbor...stating that he put a game camera in his yard about 3 nights ago and got 49 videos with what he estimated to be between 6 and 9 bear. I am starting to feel like I am on safari when I go out into the yard.

papart1

I guess I better get me one of them.........and see how many wonder through

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Here's one from a few months ago. While eating lunch I noticed something hanging from the upper track of the open sliding glass door. It was an emerging Black Swallowtail Butterfly (I later found the empty chrysalis up inside the channel). After about a half hour it lost its grip and tumbled to the threshold, wings limp as rags. I quickly got a short stick to pick it up, expecting to transfer it to a nearby shrub. However, as soon as it clambered onto the stick it kept right on going over my hand, up my arm, over my shoulder and got comfy on the side of my face, where it stayed for about an hour until it was ready to fly away. Quite the magical moment!

Of note: The rows of tiny scales- that's not pixellation of the photo. And I could see the greenish gold blood pumping into the big veins (arteries?) as the wings inflated.
BlkSwallowCloseup.jpg

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Here's one from a few months ago. While eating lunch I noticed something hanging from the upper track of the open sliding glass door. It was an emerging Black Swallowtail Butterfly (I later found the empty chrysalis up inside the channel). After about a half hour it lost its grip and tumbled to the threshold, wings limp as rags. I quickly got a short stick to pick it up, expecting to transfer it to a nearby shrub. However, as soon as it clambered onto the stick it kept right on going over my hand, up my arm, over my shoulder and got comfy on the side of my face, where it stayed for about an hour until it was ready to fly away. Quite the magical moment!

Of note: The rows of tiny scales- that's not pixellation of the photo. And I could see the greenish gold blood pumping into the big veins (arteries?) as the wings inflated.
View attachment 46606