NIMSCHKE - a good place to start for beginners

sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
You guys are doing great!

Indy: Big improvement from your first attempt. You obviously spotted the problem areas and worked them out. Pay particular attention to the backbone spiral and get the perfect before you proceed with the rest of the elements. It's a little off in your last example.

Jeremiah and Nevada: Y'all can obviously do this! Nice work!

Jmiller: Very nice job, man. Be careful not to get the elements too small as they progress toward the center. That's my only nit with your drawing. It's very well done.

Vlad: Yours is fantastic. You really took some time and did a careful study and excellent drawing!

Silberschweif: I like most of what you've done except the outside elements. Have another go at those and I think you'll be well on your way. Good job though!

For fledgling designers, this is how it starts. Hone your skills drawing this scroll until you can do it as well as Vlad, Jmiller, and others. Then add another spiral or two (or three) and fill them with the elements you learned from copying Nimschke's example. Draw every day like Shawn Didyoung does. Study study study.

In a recent class I drew a fairly basic scroll and then showed the them how I could find an interesting leaf or element from Pedersoli's engraving and add it to my scroll. Then I found another one from one of Churchill's works, and another one from someone else. Before long I had a really cool scroll drawing made up of pieces I liked of other engraver's works. The trick is to use elements that harmonize. There are tons of elements that won't well together so you have to be careful.

If you can draw a perfectly proportioned spiral and you have a good vocabulary of scroll elements, you are well on your way to being a designer.

Vladimir

Friends! Thanks for the kind relation. It is very pleasant to study at your works and to read
your posts, because they are always positive, benevolent and delicate.
Atexascowboy2011: I believe that we one family and between us aren't present neither borders, nor
rockets. I worked shtikhely on silver, but these are 100% a dilettantism. Now I want to make a maximum
of the efforts, what to come nearer to the level of artists - the engravers accepted for this site.
I will satisfy curiosity and I will add the profile on the site with data on myself. I will also try
to make a photo of the tortures with Ag, but believe me, I don't coquet saying that it is weak works.
Layne: Thanks for the help! I will try to avoid this mistake now. I will be grateful for your councils.
Sam thanks! I often reconsider your course: "Engraving Scrollwork Start to Finish". Whether it is worth
speaking as I highly appreciate your attention? (However as well as any member of cafe.) Of course,
I understand: only daily exercises will bring success.
Now I publish drawing of the second part of a task. I will be grateful for criticism.
P.S. On an avatar composition in the city of Omsk (it in Siberia). It seems to me that it is very
successful example of use of a sculpture in an urban environment. To the character and authorship
I have no relation. I upload a picture in a profile.

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
Vlad
Years ago while working in Wyoming,I worked with several kids from Estonia.
Very well mannered and one of the girls was a damned good pencil artist.
From what I have seen, there are a number of excellent artist/craftsmen in your country, you included.

glstrcowboy

Elite Cafe Member
The shading is starting to make sense, long way yet to go. The outside elements are too small and the crosshatching isn't there yet. I'm surprised more people aren't participating. image.jpg

Latest posts

Sponsors

FEGA