Non typical work bench

mtgraver

Elite Cafe Member
Here's the work bench photo from my Market Fair thread that didn't post, not sure what I did wrong? Being a Hammer/chisel guy it's built to get the work up and save the back..........although it makes a great OLP (official leaning post)
Roger, this is the only photo I have of it.
Mark
www.MarkThomas-graver.com

Attachments

• Workbench.jpg
    Workbench.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 310

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Mark for the explanation in the other post and the pic in this. I've just got to see that wooden vise. As a student of the history of engraving, I am very interested in how everything was done in early times. I am not familiar with Diderot's encyclopedia you mentioned. Could you expand on the vise shown and the time period.

I will plan on going to CLA in lexington, KY depending on the date in August. I will be there if it does not conflict with the Guns of August SASS regional shoot which is the 7th through the 10th.

richard hall

Elite Cafe Member
guys, while growing up we had two wooden vises in the workshop on the farm, they are since gone. we even had a large 3 inch hinge with a bolt thru the middle with a wing nut to use as hand vise. ive enclosed photos from an old magazine.

Attachments

• img054.jpg
    img054.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 150

Andrew Biggs

Well that old magazine certainly brings back some fond memories. That is the exact woodworking benches & vises we had at school. Our woodwork teacher was a great guy but despaired of all the students carving their initials in the bench top. :)

Cheers
Andrew

richard hall

Elite Cafe Member
yeah Andrew, the good ole days. we had a kid who tried to eat the wooden bench, think he was lacking salt like our horses . I carved my name into things. WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT THAT THEY WOULD KNOW HOW TO FIND US ??????????????

mtgraver

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks guys,
Roger, I didn't consider the historic accuracy of the vise but used the idea of a woodworkers bench vise as the basis.......like Andrew had mentioned. I own an 18th century clamp on bench vise that is similar to a post vise. I considered a post vise but way to big and heavy to haul. I made the wooden vise out of convenience and can be readily accepted. I'll try to get a picture while I'm in the rain this week. What we do for the sake of art. :)
Denis Dederot published an "Encyclopedie" as an illustration of the trades of the time, first volume published in 1751 and later the second volume. Great engravings of most if not all the arts and trades. I found the two volumes at an antique shop, they were published in 1959 by Dover, may be hard to find. The ISBN # is 486-22284-5 I hope that helps.
The CLA annual show is Aug. 14,15,16 and can be researched at our site www.longrifle.com, hope to see you there. I'll post more later.
Mark

Christiaan

Elite Cafe Member
Mark, I really like your whole outfit in the photo. Clothes, bench, accessories, jug and even the bearded model;) Like to see more pics.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
workbench

Here's the work bench photo from my Market Fair thread that didn't post, not sure what I did wrong? Being a Hammer/chisel guy it's built to get the work up and save the back..........although it makes a great OLP (official leaning post)
Roger, this is the only photo I have of it.
Mark
www.MarkThomas-graver.com

not being critical here, but- the only thing in the foto that rang my bell was your jug of hair tonic ! please, please send more fotos of this great working arangement. thank you monk

Latest posts

Sponsors