one of us?

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
This scroll backbone stencil is not new Ray Philips Ngraver Co. came out with the first scroll stencils years ago. J.J.

JJ Roberts

I restore A5 Browning's and I bet they use stencils at the FN factory before engraving and remember seeing copper stencils used by engraver at L.C. Smith gun Co. J.J.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
I restore A5 Browning's and I bet they use stencils at the FN factory before engraving . J.J.
JJ, many FN Browning engravers used paper stencils.
And somewhere in all my junk, I have some Belgium originals.
I make and use them too
They are made of letterhead paper, water soaked and burnished with a pencil into the master engraving.
These were then coated with thin oil ( I use WD-40) and hung to dry and oxidize for a couple of days.
Use them by coating the new gun with modeling clay or transfer wax and powder.
Position the paper stencil on the new gun and burnish with the side of lead a pencil. Not hand proof.
If you need a hand proof design, scribe with a rounded scribe
Good, quick, cheap, repeatable and reusable transfer system.

Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
There are obvious advantages to transferring designs that are used in production engraving. A huge time savings. That's how you show profit.

Using templates for scroll backbones isn't something I think is a good idea, because every time you use a backbone template you're not honing your skills at drawing backbones. I just don't see an advantage to it. It's taking the path of least resistance. Or it's a temporary advantage at best.

At some point the required backbone will need to be smaller or larger than your templates, or maybe it needs to be elongated or compressed. Then you're in for the harsh reality of not being able to continue because you have not learned how to draw them, and you're missing out on one of the designer's greatest pleasures, which is drawing a perfect spiral.

JJ Roberts

Sam thanks I keep telling new people and students interested in engraving to learn how to drawing if they want to be successfully at the art of engraving just look at some of the engravers on this forum that went out of there way to learn how to draw. J.J.

T.G.III

I just registered at the local college for basic drawing classes for the summer term, I am just comfortable enough with the pencil to start learning how to properly use it.

GraverConsequenses

The Lemaster Card is a tool that people are welcome to see as useful or not, or to like or not. Nobody that actually has one has had any complaints or problems with it. They all knew what it can do when they decided to buy one and it does what it is advertised to do.

It was never claimed that it is the first ever stencil, nor does that mean that it is inferior because it wasn't the first, or a copycat just because there is at least one other spiral stencil on the market, although I am not so sure any supplies are left of the plastic ones. I have not had the plastic ones or used them, so I can't say how they compare. Lemaster Card was designed originally to be exactly what I personally wanted to have as a stencil, was just a custom tool for me, and the original design was tested extensively and improved and the final version that was offered for sale is very well made and built to last, and does what it does very well. I still use the original one as well as the new one. The youtube videos show how it is used, and it is easy to use and works very well. There is a size range of backbone it can make, and there is a video that shows that, and it is great for backbones within that range.

The facebook page makes it clear that it is not intended to take the place of drawing practice, but that it can help in speed, efficiency, and is convenient. As far as some inherent dangers with using and therefore becoming dependent upon a tool...I haven't seen anyone cautioning against procreate, which has smoothing functions and many great features for efficiency and which could have similar tendency to result in dependency. Tools are designed for a purpose, and not all tools are essential to do a job. Procreate isn't essential to drawing, stencils aren't essential to drawing. Practice make perfect. Etc etc. I still do my drawing with pencil and pen, on paper, and I still hand draw backbones, too.

A limited number were made as an initial run, and I have chosen to give priority to selling to eager to learn beginners to help them in their journey, and it will help them with muscle memory. Master engravers have said that perfect practice makes perfect and that tracing perfect backbones is a way to help develop the skill. Well, it seems to me that using a stencil is an awful lot like tracing.. it just helps keep the pencil/pen on track, but it still is teaching muscle memory.

Due to Covid related shipping issues/concerns, sales have been limited to US customers. Maybe in the future that can change, but for now it must be the case.

People are entitled to their opinions about the stencil, and if they have my stencil, I pay close attention to what they have had to say. None have had any issues in using it for its intended and advertised purposes.

Dan

Last edited:

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Thank you Dan,
Another good use of a stencil is for a beginner to check the accuracy of their hand drawn backbone.
They can also use it to establish a pattern of dots and then practice joining the dots with a pencil by hand.
At first the dots can be quite closely spaced, to make it easier.
Later. just 4-5 dots for the whole backbone as their perception and muscle memory improve.

mfennessy

I liked the plastic ones sometimes, wish this was see through. Can't find the older plastic ones anymore and I've long since lost mine.

Sponsors