Pantograph question

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Keith

Yeah, the TX is a nice unit but it's beyond my simple needs - as noted I probably won't be doing that much actual lettering with it compared to using it for layout work. Plus with my limited space a tabletop unit is all I have room for.

But hopefully someone nearby will read this thread and get in touch with you - a TX is just the thing for a small shop so they can get the budget minded folks coming in (where they can see the better stuff ;))

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Well Bob was out of tabletop machines so for now we're just going with the nice little on from PepeTools. Might not do as good a job on lettering but it'll do just fine on transferring designs and such. :)

Jim Sackett

Elite Cafe Member
Steve,

Just punched in Pepe Tools then pantograph it brought up 3 choices of engraving machs. They look like they will do the job for what you want. And the price seems reasonable. Congratulations!

I learned a number of things reading this thread. I'll bet if I had used my mach. for layout on that Spiral Galaxy it would have turned out better. O well we live and we learn. My Graver Max SC is due tomorrow. Fun fun fun.

Jim :)

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Jim

We're getting the basic model but with two fonts (straight and script). It's only $10 more than the Presidium one at Rio Grande and just looks like it's worth at least that much more.

Now if you'd paid attention to monk's fine tutorial you'd have seen how to use your pantograph for layout - even without making a real template. If he says you can do a fair job by carefully tracing a flat sheet I'll take his word on it. At least I will for another 4 - 5 Business days. ;)

Boy you are going to have fun tomorrow! I can only think of one tip to pass along - remember to make sure it's off when the air is off - it uses the air to lubricate the rotor so get in the habit of combining the power switch with the air. I use the quick-disconnect but a valve is nice if you have one. Just make sure whatever you use is close to your power button so you don't turn off the air and not the unit.

Keith

Elite Cafe Member
The bottom of the TX has legs that are removable and the whole unit sits on a table I have set up in the corner. The smaller machines are NOT what you want. Try doing 6 lines on one. Too much work to set up. On the Tx its easy.
I have made templates and engraved all sorts of car and harley parts zippos all sorts of key chains, wedding items, with the tx try that with a smaller machine.
Good luck,
Keith

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
it's true. ive done it many times for custom monograms and such.draw a monogram on paper, or create in the computer and print to size for the panto. with careful tracing, your hand engraving will surely cover any wigglies you made.this be quite useful for monograms and stuff that's not likely to be repeated. no reason to waste valuable template stock for stuff like this. jm2cw

hiloboy

KC, What ever you do don't spend your money on a tipper type machine..look around for a used tx or txl hermes it will do more of what you are talk about doing i your other post. like Keith said the tx can be used on a table also..it is a way better machine for doing the type of stuff that Monk is talking about.. my first machine was a tipper type pantograph..that i got when i didn't know better..gave it away just to get it out of my shop..my 2 cent is it just didn't do what it needs to do to transfer/ and do layouts like the hermes..
Monk, i'm still trying to get some pictures for you of that fonts.. my kids got my the camera someplace around here..

Latest posts

Sponsors