photo

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
Here is the light tent I use at the FEGA show. I set it up on one of the unused tables and just use the ambient room lighting.

The sheet has a hole in it for the camera screen and for me to reach controls...part of the sheet drapes down between the tripod and the table and then there is a plastic sheet about 10" by 16" mounted at an angle from the hotfoot/flash mount to hold the sheet out from the lens when draped out over the table. Lead weights hold the outer ends of the sheet on the far side of the table.

Simple, cheap and it works!

compleat tent exposed.jpg complete tent.jpg

Archie Woodworth

Elite Cafe Member
You're the second person who told me they used a glass light globe for photography. Sounds like a really good idea to me. I saw one in a junk store in Kansas but it would have been impractical to try to schlep the thing home on airlines. The plastic ones in your link look really good.
Sam, they really work well ... back in the day when I was working as a photographer to keep "beans on the table", I used a much larger version to photograph some round polished items. about 9 years ago, I gave one of these globes to Ken Hurst to photograph some items he was having problems lighting ... he said it made task easy.

papart1

Well guy's, maybe then if you put object IN the one hole plastic globe..........................ah I just need to get another slr.........like a new cannon eos. I use my cell now but it's kind of limited, thanks for the ideas

Archie Woodworth

Elite Cafe Member
Well guy's, maybe then if you put object IN the one hole plastic globe..........................ah I just need to get another slr.........like a new cannon eos. I use my cell now but it's kind of limited, thanks for the ideas
LOL yea, what you are photographing goes inside ..... also the item you photographing can rest on back of globe or on a piece of fabric or other material such as crushed stone. I have sawed globes in half for each access to place item which you want to photograph. The two halves can be hinged with CLEAR packing tape so it can be closed up around item so that you can still photographing through hole in globe.

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
papart1, I think it was on this forum someone showed a photo set up using a clear plastic tote. it was turned upside down with a hole cut in the side. The item was placed inside for photo, I have used this set up and can get good photos on my phone. The problem I have is getting that photo to my PC if it is emailed I lose some of my resolution.
Leland

papart1

well..........that certainly helped, cound'nt really do much with this old glass one i tried. Going to look at sally ann's goodwill and the like, they got good stuff. Thanks gent's for guidance, I appreciate it. Rob

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Rob, Some of the translucent plastic carry boxes from Home Depot or Lowe's for $6 to $8 will work with a hole cut in the bottom and lights moved around outside.
But look and listen to Sam Welsh and his methods.
I have seen Sam do wonders with with his white bed sheet set up. And it all folds up.
Sam's photographs of the FEGA show winners are what we see in The Engraver magazine.
Top Class work.

papart1

Sounds good Mr. John, I can see TOS's method pretty much is need a tripod for standard equip. I don't have that yet due to that no t6 either. I'm bidding on one on ebay now.

papart1

wow.really makes the difference..............I see now. Thanks Sam

Latest posts

Sponsors