Photography discussion

Andy

Elite Cafe Member
Sorry to get back so late. I'm swamped.
After I set my light tent up I realized I had changed it from the description I had posted earlier.
Instead of having two panels to diffuse the light I modified it down to one panel because I started using a soft box. The soft box creates the first level of diffusion then the light tent further diffuses the light preventing hot spots and a makes for a very uniform light panel. The first two photos show the light as I used to use it without the softbox. I hope I have not confused anyone. When shooting with flash I usually use an aperature of f19-f22. This puts most everything in good focus. And because of the quick flash duration no tripod is necessary. You would definately want a flash with a built in modeling light of course.

Patternweldor

Many thanks.. for all of the very useful lighting techniques used by everyone.. I was wondering if any of the members know of anyone that has, or currently using, a digital back for a hasselblad, I was curious how they work out, the older versions are now showing up as being more affordable, and I was thinking maybe they could be a nice alternative to be able to utilize a camera that has great lenses, but would have the convienience of the digital aspect..

Thanks people for the helpful postings! beautiful work!!
Chris.

smays

Thanks Andy for the pic's... now if I can only figure out how to use my cameras. I have a Canon Elan 7N and a Canon digital Rebel. I think both are more capable than my expertise will allow. You mentioned opening the aperature as wide as you can for the amount of light...correct. This will allow a more focused field, and a faster shutter speed...allowing less shake???

Shawn

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
A more open the aperature actually DECREASES your depth of field. Sort of like squinting to clearly see something. The higher the number the smaller the opening. Usually the smallest is not the sharpest for clarity. Usually about 2/3 - 3/4 closed gives you your optimum depth of field tied in with clarity. Remember the smaller the opening, the longer the shutter speed to balance everything out.

Andy

Elite Cafe Member
Marty is right. The best solution is a longer lens that has macro capabilities. Then you would not need to use such a small aperture to achieve good depth of field. The sweet spot for clarity in most lenses is somewhere around f11 I believe. For putting things on the web it is not so critical. Shawn, I use a Digital Rebel and it is a very capable camera.
Hasselblad??.....one can only dream!!!

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Abigail shoots the Digital Rebel XT and it's an awesome camera.

Yep, most lenses perform best around f8 or f11. Stopping down to f22 or f32 can produce fuzzy results. There are some photoshop tricks using what's called 'focus stacking' which are different shots on different layers with each having a different point of focus. It can really help with difficult depth of field shots.