Polarizing filter for Leica 9I

Ronald Scott

Have any of you added a polarizing Unit to your microscope with camera? Leica has a polarizing filter and analyzer but it is over $500.00. Thoughts on alternatives? My goal is to reduce the glare generated from reflective surfaces.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
controlling the lighting would be a far cheaper alternative. translattion: probably a really good light ring and maybe fiddling with some sort of diffuser. the light ring should have dimming capability.

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
I seem to remember from long ago reading that polarizing filters work to reduce glare off water surfaces but not metal. Old memory...could be defective! Has something to do with the way light is reflected by the two differing surfaces.

Ronald Scott

I should have noted that I am using a led dimmable ring light with diffuser. As viewed through the eyepieces the glare is manageable but when transmitted by the camera to a monitor it diminishes visibility.

Jahn Baker

Elite Cafe Member
A polarizing filter may cut some of the glare, but it will reduce the light transmitted through it by 75%. That might be fine for your camera, but hard for cutting.
When setting diamonds, or other highly reflective work, I turn off my ring light and use directional light. An inexpensive LED flexible desk lamp located low, close to the work, does the trick.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I have used polarizing filters on camera lenses and I believe the light must be coming from a 90° angle for them to work. I’ll put one under my scope objective lens and see what it does.

Expect to lose a couple of stops of light though.

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ronald Scott - I have a Leica S9i set up with a polarizing filter on it. If you would like to see exactly what would happen give me a call. I can send you a link and let you look directly through the S9i with and without the polarizer remotely via conference call. It will be easy and not take too long and I'm glad to do it after hours if it is easier for your schedule. Tira@Engraver.com

pkroyer

Ronald Scott - I have a Leica S9i set up with a polarizing filter on it. If you would like to see exactly what would happen give me a call. I can send you a link and let you look directly through the S9i with and without the polarizer remotely via conference call. It will be easy and not take too long and I'm glad to do it after hours if it is easier for your schedule. Tira@Engraver.com
Hi,
Can you tell us all in general terms what a polarizing filter does through a microscope. Does it in fact cut down glare. Do you need a polarized light source? Any other benefits? Right now I am not ready to think about purchasing one, so I would not trouble you for an online demo.
Thanks for any insight you can provide.
Phil

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If you have the Leica LED light then this polarizer fits on that light. The diffuser that comes with the Leica light screws off and the polarizer screws on it its place. There are 2 glass pieces each with the polarizing lines embedded. The first is over the LEDs. The second piece of glass is over where the lens is. As you turn the piece of glass over the LEDs you control more or less light/glare/etc. coming up through the lens. The polarizer does cut down a lot on glare and I use it for just about all of my filming. It is really helpful with jewelry, stones, setting, etc.

pkroyer

If you have the Leica LED light then this polarizer fits on that light. The diffuser that comes with the Leica light screws off and the polarizer screws on it its place. There are 2 glass pieces each with the polarizing lines embedded. The first is over the LEDs. The second piece of glass is over where the lens is. As you turn the piece of glass over the LEDs you control more or less light/glare/etc. coming up through the lens. The polarizer does cut down a lot on glare and I use it for just about all of my filming. It is really helpful with jewelry, stones, setting, etc.
Thanks - Phil

Sponsors