Announcement: poor mans: graver blanks and power hone

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Please read the details for the video, will point you in the right direction.

I made this mostly for those that are starting out and do not want to spend the big bucks on graver blanks (they get expensive) and or a power hone.

please see other videos and subscribe

I hope this helps someone out.

http://youtu.be/BnAoV7l_jqM

mrthe

Carlos i'm not sure ,but if you are sharpening carbide gravers in the video, i don't think is a good idea put they in water .

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mr.The thanks for reply could you please explain why.

Gracias por responder, por que rason no se ponen en agua?

mrthe

Because if i don't remember bad they get brittle when quenching and you will broke much more the point.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Correct me if I'm wrong, but that happens only if it gets really hot, I'm quenching it before it does.

Carlos De La O III

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
Carlos!

I didn't realize that you're old school.
Years ago if you walked into a master craftsman's shop, he would immediately cover his work in progress or divert you to "let's go and have a cup of coffee over here".
Often times the old booger would quietly dispense a tip or two, which upon using would cause the newbie to fail, thereby discouraging him from further attempts.
The old master's way of thinking was this, "If I teach him my secrets, he will take business away from me".
With the advent of free knowledge from the internet and forums such as The Cafe, I really thought this practice had died.
Jeff

P.S. Y'ALL-
The above was written in jest!
But, it follows the old customs, unintentially, of steering someone astray! :biggrin:

bildio

Elite Cafe Member
Correct me if I'm wrong, but that happens only if it gets really hot, I'm quenching it before it does. Carlos De La O III

Carlos, you are correct. It's okay to dip the carbide graver in water when the graver is warm, but not when it's hot. If you do it when it's hot, it will become brittle as Paolo stated.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
This is the first I've heard that quenching carbide makes it brittle. Are you sure you don't mean HHS?

I only shape carbide on the Powerhone so it doesn't get hot enough to need cooling.

mrthe

Sam me too i sharp they on the power hone and i control the temperature with finger and never became hot or i have to quenching they, if i'm not wrong i had read in some old thread about not quenching carbide , i use CarbaltXD , that i think are a mix of carbide and cobalt and the came with this warning:
"When rough grinding, if the material becomes hot, DO NOT quench in water. Heat will not anneal or damage the material as it does high-speed, tool steel or tool steel with cobalt, but quenching while it is hot will cause the the mixture to become brittle causing the point of the graver to break more easily during use. Water may be used to keep the heat down in general though. "

And i follow this rule for my C-max too.

Kevin Scott

Elite Cafe Member
Carlos, you are correct. It's okay to dip the carbide graver in water when the graver is warm, but not when it's hot. If you do it when it's hot, it will become brittle as Paolo stated.

This has been talked about on the forums and the consensus and among machinists is the above is correct.
I think the carbide has to get pretty hot for quenching to be a problem. If it does get hot, even red hot, let air cool and it will be fine.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
if you charge your diamond disk with a bit of mineral oil (keyword is just a bit) you'll get a slightly better finish on the tool. your diamond disk will last for quite a few more sharpenings, and the best for last- the dust generated is kept to an absolute minimum. no need for the pesky mask.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
if you charge your diamond disk with a bit of mineral oil (keyword is just a bit) you'll get a slightly better finish on the tool. your diamond disk will last for quite a few more sharpenings, and the best for last- the dust generated is kept to an absolute minimum. no need for the pesky mask.

Charge? Just apply?

Carlos De La O III

jeness

Does the 3/32 round stock fit nicely into the handpiece? If I remember right than the bore is 1/8", wouldn't it be better to use 1/8" rounds?

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You can use either but the 1/8 would not fit into the templates unless you ground it down the 3/32 round has a slight play but I use a thumb setscrew to hold in place and its okay. I guess it would be personal preference

Carlos De La O III

bildio

Elite Cafe Member
I ordered some. For some reason, their order page was very pleasant to use. Might be the font.

Last edited:

Sponsors