Portable bench?

Metalshaper

Anyone make or use a portable bench to do demonstrations? I'd kinda like to have something I could trapse back and forth to work with me.. and get in some practice while I'm on my lunch break..

Hints, tips, or ideas??

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

Metalshaper

Gazzman,

I do that a lot! but would also like to put some lines down in metal, now and then.

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

Metalshaper

That may be my finding, but I'm still thinking about it? and I'm also taking your counsel about the pencil and pad. I 'doodle' ( as they call it at work ) when I'm at lunch.. So that may be the easiest..

Appreciate the reply!

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

lostrelic

I enjoy using a small stump that can easily be carried around. Throw it atop a table, or sit it on ground with a small chair or stool, depending on what you want to lug around. Its nice and heavy so you have a sturdy base for your mini block or vise. Check out old pictures of Native American silver smiths. Also Japanese engravers are known for this as well.

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
A long dowel... can reach alll the way to the ground depending on your work area. Work is fastened to pad at top.. bottom is butted against your bench, lap, or as I said, the ground. Turns as Mach as a vice should (ie as much as your hand can turn). Obviously still inferior to an actual vice, with its weight.. but serves well. And travels well. Jewellers bench is wooden tool chest with cutaway and bench pin on one side... I just clamp it to any solid table wherever I go

pmace

Elite Cafe Member
Anyone make or use a portable bench to do demonstrations? I'd kinda like to have something I could trapse back and forth to work with me.. and get in some practice while I'm on my lunch break..

Hints, tips, or ideas??

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan
For push graving how about a pitch bowl with a practice plate set in? Should work with a Lindsay palm control and CO2 cartridge too. For H&C how about a round wooden disk with the practice plate screwed down. Clamp the disk to a desk with a couple of Kant Twist clamps?

Metalshaper

I appreciate everyone's replies! To put a lil more info into it, I'm working at my hammer and chisel practice. Most of my work will involve muzzle loaders and such. I've Never had anyone show me push engraving, ( up close and personal ) so I'm not sure what I'm doing there?
My bud calls me a visual learner :pencil: so if I can see it in front of me.. I can usually figure it out? well eventually..

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
At one time I think Ray Cover had a design, and used, a portable engraving bench, one that knocked down and was easily reassembled when he had his traveling engraving school. You may want to check with him about it.

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Dag,
Don't you have a regular vise in your lab? Alternatively, you can buy a small one that will clamp on to the edge of a lab table and hold your work mounted on a wood block

Metalshaper

Dave,

yes there is a vise in the shop for the field guys to use. problem is they mounted it for vertically challenged types? not that I'm a giant, by any means, but I'd be bent over nearly 45 degrees
just to get into position if standing.. sitting maybe?

depending on the day, I may or may not be allowed to use it..

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

dogcatcher

Elite Cafe Member

Metalshaper

Thank you all for replying! I appreciate the ideas and the help you have offered..

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
in the warm months i enjoy doing demos at our local park. i used a b&d workmate to do this. a perfect size for the ball, a few gravers, and a jug of ice tea. it helps to have a portable stoolr or seat that gives a good fit to how you like to work. with little effert, and even less cash, a useable rig can be cobbled from 2x3's and a bit of plywood. google portable benches or such. a jillion ideas will likely be there.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
I appreciate everyone's replies! To put a lil more info into it, I'm working at my hammer and chisel practice. Most of my work will involve muzzle loaders and such. I've Never had anyone show me push engraving, ( up close and personal ) so I'm not sure what I'm doing there?
My bud calls me a visual learner :pencil: so if I can see it in front of me.. I can usually figure it out? well eventually..

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan
our boss, sam, has a good vid on h&c. many also on the you tube !!

Metalshaper

Monk and all the gang!

thanks for the ideas.. I hadn't thought about the workmate style table? just wanting something I can wander out to my Rav 4 and engrave with the lift gate up for a bit during lunch. I have seen just about any and all engraving videos on youtube.:rolleyes: I Like Sam's of course..

a lot of the vids show the engraver point.. I guess what my mind needs to see is more of what the cutting hand is doing? With a power graver I'd assume the hand control/movements are 'nearly' the same but the actual cutting hand is not working entirely in the same fashion as with push cutting?

Like I said I'm a visual learner, to quote my Bud Marlow, or a mimic of sorts.. If I can see it, then I can work out the mechanics in my head and then work it out from there to my hands?? Working on HC style but would like to also work on push style as well..

or at least that's the theory .

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

< to add to the fun, my lumbar discs are all de-generating and the is neuropothy (spl? )
in the nerves. Makes my legs either Burn with over-load pain or go numb.. sometime both..
I tend to sit most of the time I work on my practice. >

Last edited:

rodsta

Elite Cafe Member
Just for another idea I am posting my portable work station. I do jewelry work and engraving on the road at shows. It’s a Harbor Freight folding sawhorse with a sea toolbox that I found in an antique store. Plenty of room for tool storage and with the sliding tabletop underneath I can move it out of the way for cutting or slide it out for layout or the engraving ball. Best of all it disassembles easily and can be carried with a handle.
Rod 99960E6C-92A6-410A-8F21-F0D2DCBFC100.jpeg

Latest posts

Sponsors