Presentation Piece

Baygraver

Hello all,

This is an Argentium silver presentation piece for my nephew who is to be married in October. They asked for a “beachyâ€￾ theme. It incorporates chasing, repousse and engraving. It measures 8â€￾x6â€￾ on 22 Gauge sheet.

The engraving was all done using a 39 flat graver, with a 40 degree face and a radiused heel (thanks, Sam). The flat seemed to be especially useful for the engraving in the simulated waves around the periphery where the repousse presented a very uneven surface.

This is a closer shot of the chasing and repousse detail.

I initially did this in copper to work out some design issues. Since the silver version will be framed, I think Argentium silver is preferable as it won't tarnish.

Regards, Jim

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Great job, Jim. And a very clever theme you worked out.
You better hurry and get all your relatives married.
Or you'll go broke making these silver wedding invitations for them :)
Best,

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
tarrific, to say the least ! did you have to apply heat to prevent cracking now & then ?
or doesn't argentium work harden like that ?

Baygraver

Very nice work Jim. Is the framing and picture work pounded up from the back to produce a three demension? Pardon my ignorance of the terms used.

Jim Sackett

Jim, Thanks. The repoussed border (I think repousse means "pushing up", which is done from the back) is done with steel stakes hammered from the back. The "chasing" is moving the metal around from the front, while engraving, of course, is cutting metal away. Beyond the lettering, I'm trying to use the engraving to enhance the effect of the chasing and repousse. Jim

Baygraver

tarrific, to say the least ! did you have to apply heat to prevent cracking now & then ?
or doesn't argentium work harden like that ?

Monk, Thanks.

I think Argentium work hardens pretty much the same as sterling silver, which is not surprising as it's virtually the same compositionally. That 1% germanium makes it not tarnish.

I did have to anneal it once to 1050F at the end to get it to truly lie flat, as that repousse all around the border seemed to create a lot of stresses on the contained sheet. Jim

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Jim,

A splendid multi-diciplinary presentation piece! I will not fail to look you up when next in the Bay Area, and you are always welcome in Mendocino if I am in residence!

Reckon I will get to Reno too!

best

Rod

Baygraver

Kudos Jim!

Ron, I'm looking forward to how you add engraving to your already considerable skills at chasing and repousse. Did any of the Roycroft crowd do that? Historically, they were considered separate and distinct discipines. As a modern day Roycroftron, you can add to that rich legacy. Regards, Jim

Two Claws

Hi Jim. I'm Scott. Beautifully done and very 'California'...in the best sense! I know you weren't ambiguous...but just to clarify for me... you used the #39 flat to also engrave the lovely script? Thanks!

Sponsors