Printers and inks that work for transfer

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Like I said in another thread, my Epson C66 crapped the bed with clogged nozzles so I did some research here and on the Lindsay forum and what I've come to understand is that the "secret" for success is that combination of transparencies and inks.

If you have an Epson printer, any "Dura Bright" ink cartridge should work on those expensive Epson transparencies or the 3M brand.

HP printers with the "Vivera" ink cartridges will work on the Epson transparencies, 3M or the Hammermill the latter of which is available in most walmarts, just not mine.

I tested this theory out since Marty Rabeno uses an HP all in one that uses these inks with the cheaper Hammermill films he gets at walmart. The printer model number isn't important so don't get wrapped around the axle over that, just get one, any one that uses one of these inks.

For the record, some of those Dura Bright ink cartridges are $50.00 rather than the $15.00 I spent on my HP black #74.

I just bought this thing tonight and installed and set it up. It worked flawlessly and I did 2 jobs; one a 1911 A1 45 ACP lettering job and a floral script money clip. I'm back in the saddle again:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D

David Lavaneri

Use it or loose it.

Tim

Inkjet printers are a "use it or loose it" proposition. It's the nature of the beast. I use Epson printers for dye sublimation, and although years ago, clogging was pervasive, the new ink formulations are much less prone to clogging.

Some of the newer Epson models, such as the 4800 have built-in head cleaning utilities that can be set to run cleaning cycles at user-prescribed intervals, i.e. daily, weekly etc.

In my experience, it's not necessary to run daily cleaning cycles, but if a printer sits for a week or two, it's a good idea to run a nozzle check before printing. If there are missing segments in the nozzle check pattern a head cleaning cycle or two should bring the printer back to proper functionality.

There's also a head cleaning utility www.harveyheadcleaner.com for printers that don't come equipped with built-in auto-clean utilities. Good tips on unclogging printers there as well.

David "The Stunt Engraver" Lavaneri

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Hi Tim.
Did you forget to say which printer you just bought? Sure would appreciate the model number.
Or am I missing something? Are you saying that any HP that uses Vivera cartridges will work?

Also, just a correction, not all Epson DuraBrite ink is the same and some won't work for transfers.
I have had an Epson CX5200 combo machine for years and it uses DuraBrite ink in the #0231 black cartridge.
This has been a great machine for me and has never missed a beat (fingers crossed), but not for transfers.
Naturally, I tried this machine before I bought my Epson C86 to make transfers.
Even had help with it from Tom White but the ink is a different type of DuraBrite and does not work.
Don't want anyone to think that all Epson DuraBrite ink works, check out a sample before you buy.

Best regards, John B.

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have been getting really good results with a $30 HP 37OO series printer that uses #27 black cartridges.

I have not tried with anything but the epson films though so I can't speak to that. I did have a friend try using hair spray on the printing surface of cheaper films and he tells me that it made the cheaper films usable. Though I have not tried it yet myself.

Ray

Tom White

Hi,

I did get to try some printers one HP I tried a all-in-one model 5280 that used the hp 74 black ink tank and using epson films did very well, the only issue I had was that the ink did not set on the film. It transferred well and was fairly durable after the transfer. Even after 1 weeks time the ink was not set on the film and could be smeared which makes film storage impossible. Although immediate transfers were very good. As I get to test more printers I will post results. I assume that all HP printers using the HP 74 tank would be OK to use for transfers.
Tom

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Well dog gone. Just when you think you have something sorta figured out you find you don't. John I was getting frustrated because in all the posts about this, Marty never mentioned the model number or cartridge number of his HP that works for him so I just hauled off and bought an HP after he chimed in one day saying what he did about the Vivera ink that his takes.

Maybe I got lucky or not but I bought a C4280 all in one that has the scanner made as a flatbed not a feed through. Also if I'm not mistaken, it appears that the jets on this one are in the carriage, just like the Epson C66 that died and not the cartridge which is not what I really wanted.

In the event of a clog I could try the head cleaner utility, which didn't help after a dozen tries on the Epson or just get a new cartridge if that failed. But since the jets are in the carriage, that option is out. It's one of those things you don't get to know until after you've bought it. You could try tech support and ask about these particulars after a half hour holding on the phone, only to speak to some guy reading a script that don't know anything. I didn't bother.

I guess we all just have to experiment no matter how much clarification we get in the plethora of threads on this subject on the various forums. I think the guy above was right when he said you lose it if you don't use it as far as ink jets go. I think that makes sense; I just wish it was easier to clean one to renew it.

When I win the lottery, I'm gonna buy one of each printer in existence and evaluate them all and post it all here!:D :rolleyes: Don't hold your breath...:cool:

Last edited:

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Ray, thanks for that information on your 3700 series.
Marty posted that he uses an HP3740 with good results.
And if I'm not mistaken Andrew does too
As far as I can see the 3700 series is now discontinued.
With your advise, I will look for a current HP that uses the #27 cartridge.
Best, John B.

Andrew Biggs

Hi John

The HP #27 cartridge works really well. The other thing I do is take the colour cartridge out and just print with the black.

Another tip is...........if using photoshop etc..........work in CYMK mode and alter the "levels" so that the outines are dark as possible. Also work in black and white.

If using Corel...........make the outines or fills in CYMK mode and make sure they are 100% black.

You will get bulletproof sharp prints that transfer with Tom Whites Transfer Magic solution.

Cheers
Andrew

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yea but your printer is working upside down Andrew....
It might not work for us..
:)
Seriously, a lot of the printers won't let you take out the color ctg. Mine won't but it also one of the HP that doesn't use a #27 either.

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sure blame me..........why not
I am using an HP3140 not the 3740 Mr B............but I still luvya
It works just fine just make sure you print in black ink only...also as a sidebar.A light green sharpie works well with this also in addition to Tom's solution. I use them both
Marty aka Draws withagraver..........very old indian name

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Hi Uncle Marty, I still luv ya too.
Sorry I got the printer numbers turned around.
Even if your new name is Draws-with-Graver I plan on being in the front row for your FREE Reno Sketch-in.
Hope you wear your full eagle feather bonnet though. It helps to cut down the glare.
Bye the way, is it OK for your friends to just call you Chief Draws ???

Thanks David L for the cleaning tips, but no joy on my Epson. Still stuck.

Have done a search at the retailers and on the HP website for current printers that use the #27 ink that Ray, Andrew and Marty says will work.
Again, no joy. Seems that they don't make a current one that uses that ink.
Anyone else using a currently available model HP that makes transfers?
What printer model and what ink, please.

TallGary

:::Pledge Member:::
John B.

There are several on Ebay that use the #27 cartridge. HP 3420 and 3745 for certain. Looks like most of them will sell in the $20-30 range including shipping. Good Luck!

Gary

Tom Curran

Elite Cafe Member
Guys, I am frustrated with this transfer thing.

I would like to get a combination of printer and ink that works, and have the money to do it TODAY, but, dang, if you guys don't stop dislexing your numbers, I will remain in confusion land forever. if the Chief engravers in the world can't get their numbers right, what's a poor fool like me gonna do?

Anyway, I have a Brother 5460 CF all-in-one. The ink does not ever dry on the shiny side of my 3M multipurpose transparency film. On the coated grainy side, the ink will not come off onto my workpiece. I would like to know if there is anything that will work with the printer I have, or do I need to get one just for transfers. I tried the soap-gel transparency thing, but I think it really messed up my last printer.

Help!

Tom

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Tom
I saw wallyworld had a all in one HP for 50 bucks...thats cheap Not sure of the model number.

We do forgive John B for his dislexia.....he can't help himself Seriously though.the numbers I ran previously are the numbers of my set up.print on the rough side of the sheets.

Say HI to Nasty Joe for me back there

Andrew Biggs

Tom
Try the inkject Epson transparancies that Tom White recommends. They are expensive but work really well. I've tried all sorts of transparancies that we use in the workshop and The Epson one works the best of the lot. 100% transfer every time.

Cheers
Andrew

Santo

Elite Cafe Member
All right you guys --my head is spinnin' here. What would you tell me if I was going out to get a printer today so I could do transfers? Which one should I buy? I don't need all the bells and whistles-- just a printer that gives me good prints and workable transfers. Remember, I'm no tech head -- just want plain and simple -- I don't want to spend a fortune either. Thanks

S~

Tom Curran

Elite Cafe Member
Santo, I feel your pain, because I am in the same boat. I think it's simple, but I can't sort it out. I did find the site for Transfer Magic, and on there Tom recommends some printers, inks and transparencies, with part and model numbers. When I am done I will probably end up shooting my printer with my .54 flintlock, just to see it die.

site: http://users.commspeed.net/ttwhite/xtransc.htm

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Wound the printer first Tom.then you can watch is wriggle around in pain before you finish it off.

I did tell you what works for me though from wallyworld

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
I'm with Santo and Tom C, I'd just like a printer and ink number that you can buy NOW.
Most of the numbers on Transfer Magic's site are discontinued models of the clog prone Epson.
I'm about ready to chuck in the towel on that whole system.

Last edited:

Sponsors