Printers and inks that work for transfer

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Tom,
I bought an HP C4280 all in one on sale for $79.00 and it does everything great, especially transfers. Like I mentioned before it has the Vivera ink like most of their newer models do so the cartridge number shouldn't matter in an HP as long as you see the word VIVERA on the front of the machine or the replacement black cartridge.

There may be other last year models close in kind to what I bought, that use the same ink for the $50 bucks that Marty mentioned so go see what there is around. Wallyworld, office max, best buy, etc...

rhenrichs

Elite Cafe Member
Hey Tim,
Went out and bought a HP4280 this afternoon with the #74 black ink cartridge. Tried it for transfering tonight. The HP doesn't come anywhere close to the quality of transfer I get with my Cannon PC 320 lazer copier.
Oh well nothing lost I needed a new printer anyway, my Epson died.

Roger

Andrew Biggs

Hey Roger

Try this if possible..........remove the colour cartridge. Whatever programe you are using to transfer/print, work in CYMK mode (printers mode) and make sure black is true black.

A lot of programes automatically work in RGB (which is a screen mode) and RGB black is not true black.

I hope that makes a bit of sense :)

See you in Reno

Cheers
Andrew

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That's the same cartridge as in mine and it works fine when you set the settings to "black ink only. On some printer models you can't take out the color cartridge due to software conflict. Try to print and the thing is smart enough to know the color cart is not in it and it refuses to go any further. Not all printers act this way just some. If you can take it out I would to keep it from drying out or clogging the color side jets.

I wasn't aware that you could use a laser printer with the transfer solution and transparencies. Is that what you did with the Canon or did you use paper and acetone?

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
When you do your printer settings.go to advanced and set it up for black ink only.when I forget to do that.it doesn't work

rhenrichs

Elite Cafe Member
The Cannon PC 320 is a portable lazer copier. I copy my image to a transfer film and turn the machine off before the copy gets to the burner. I remove the copy from the machine like you would a paper jam. At this point the lazer ink is a powder on the surface of the transfer film. My transfer medium is Damar varnish that has been cut about 75% with acetone. Can make a transfer metal without the transfer medium but the with the Damar Varnish it works a little better. Place transfer on the metal surface and only a gental rub is all that is required to make the transfer. I Usually get 100% transfer of the ink from the transfer film to the metal surface and get a transfer that has crisp sharp dark black lines. With the inkjet I come no where close to darkness in color and line quality. After the transfer has been made I apply a couple of coats of satin sheen spray lacquer and I'm ready to go to work. Very durible, will take quite a bit of abuse, no chipping or peeling,

Roger

PS got the Cannon at a rummage sale for $5.00

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors