Question About The GRS Satellite™ Turntable Stand

happy

I'm thinking about getting the Satellite™ Turntable Package I have the GRS Positioning Vise now
is this a sturdy stand or will it get tippy if I put the heavy vice to the side of the turn table?
its a lot of money just looking for some people who have it and if it is worth the money
thanks

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I have 3 of them. They are extremely sturdy and I can't imagine ever tipping one over, even with the heaviest GRS vise. I also use the GRS positioning vises.

The gas spring is a fantastic feature. Loosen the collet and it floats up and down and is sooooo easy to adjust height when you need to.

Pro tip: If the stand moves when you bump with your chair legs, put a piece of Scotch Extreme Mounting Tape under each foot and she ain't going anywhere.

happy

I have 3 of them. They are extremely sturdy and I can't imagine ever tipping one over, even with the heaviest GRS vise. I also use the GRS positioning vises.

The gas spring is a fantastic feature. Loosen the collet and it floats up and down and is sooooo easy to adjust height when you need to.

Pro tip: If the stand moves when you bump with your chair legs, put a piece of Scotch Extreme Mounting Tape under each foot and she ain't going anywhere.
Thanks for the reply I will be ordering one soon

TFACARVING

Elite Cafe Member
I might need to switch to one of these bad boys soon I currently have my standard mounted on a drop play attached to a wooden desk with a leg under it for support but at low spm (pneumatic machine) the whole set up will catch a groove and start to rock back and forth vise microscope and all not great for realy detailed work or deep background removal I'm tempted to jam a piece of 2x4 between the desk and the wall as a temporary fix but I know that will only get me so far

DocsEngraving

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::

Great Pro-Tip there on the Scotch Extreme Mounting Tape -- I have occasionally bumped my Satellite out of position with my chair! (doggone it!).

Bob Savage

I'm still using a fixed height stand made of wood that I built at the end of December and fortunately, its height works OK with the microscope, but I need something adjustable and more rigid and have been watching for 12" drill presses used but have seen none in a price range I'd be willing to spend.

It seems like I may need to save for a Satellite. It looks to be another "forever" tool, which helps justify the price.