Quick question about dividers.

R.Quecke

I seem to remember a video where (I think it was Sam) talked about redoing the points on the dividers. Anyone????
if not, anyone got any pointers ?
Thank y’all.

T.G.III

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
If memory serves the divider points are rounded over just like the scribe so as not to scratch the surface while in use, it's what I did with mine.

monk

Staff member
i don't recall that. mine has a sharp, scratchy leg. the other leg has a bit of a dub on the end. i also have a couple that are unaltered. in one, that has a collet for holding lead, i sometimes use an orangewood point.

allan621

:::Pledge Member:::
The thing about dividers is that they are metal. We work engraving tools into different shapes and dividers are the same.

I have a pair of dividers that has a very thin point on it so it makes an easily burnished over center divot. The other side of the dividers has been sharpened like an engraving tool so when I scribe the outside of the circle it actually cuts a thin deep line.

I have another pair of dividers that have been ground so they fit together flat. In this way I can scribe of any width of line from flush to maximum width. This is great when scribing borders on a ring carving.

Jerrywh is right, you can make the dividers to do what you need them to do.

Allan

Latest posts

Sponsors