Question: Recommended resources for ornamental wood carving?

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If working on the flat grain. And you are on the outside of the log, cut into the nose of the grain. In other words, cut into the convex curve of the grain.
If your wood is oriented such that you are carving from the heart out, then you reverse, and cut into concave sweep of the grain.

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Allen, I always look longingly at the model trains...knowing I have not the time nor space for another hobby/distraction.

Another carving tool supply source is Brookstone tools. I have some of their tools and find they work well.
I don't get involved with their model trains but have become hooked on their old sailing ship cut away sections and the scale rotary WWI radial engines! I don't need another hobby but switching to building a model from engraving takes my mind to a different level of stress!!!

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I got hooked on teaching myself to carve wood recently and found Mary May has a website with hundreds of lessons perfect for starting from knowing nothing to doing good work at very little cost.
I also found Paul sellers on YouTube who teaches making furniture with hand tools. good for the soul

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I got hooked on teaching myself to carve wood recently and found Mary May has a website with hundreds of lessons perfect for starting from knowing nothing to doing good work at very little cost.
I also found Paul sellers on YouTube who teaches making furniture with hand tools. good for the soul
That's my wife's name!! But, no, she doesn't carve wood.

Latest posts

Sponsors