Reno Colt SAA

Brian Hochstrat

Elite Cafe Member
Well it is good to be home, and getting back into the routine. Reno and Elko both went very well, but after 10 days in motel rooms, its nice to be back home. I have never met so many nice folks in so short of time and people willing to freely give needed advice. There is more to being an engraver than just engraving, and Scott P., Kenny Majors, Dave Alderson (silverchip), and others all took the time to impart some words of wisdom and warn of the pitfalls that linger, the kind of advice that is priceless, and I thank them for it.

Here is the Colt I took to Reno, its a 3rd Generation 32-20, all ornamental work is done in 24k including my signature which is about 4mm in height. The front sight was pierced and sculpted and has gold shade lines. The bluing I did with Oxinate which gave a matte finish which contrasted well with the gold.

I learned quite a bit on this project and things I will do differently next time, but all in all I was pleased with the end result. I will definitely be doing more of these Colts, they are a great canvas and have some challenging areas that you can really show what you are made of, such as the top of the hammer which has a double contour and the bumps at the front part of the frame that receives the barrel and ejector housing which has a pretty sharp crease at the bottom of the valley.

Also I just found out how difficult it is to photograph these things, looks like I need to make a light box to put it in. The set up I have now works great for the knives but I am getting hot spots when shooting something with contours.

As always atta-boys are nice, but real critique is what is helpful, so if you see something that needs improving please don't hold back, I will not be insulted. Thanks- Brian

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
What a pretty job you did, Brian. I'm so glad I got to see this in Reno...it would have been tragic to miss it. The photos are great but this is another one that has to be seen in-hand to appreciate. Bravo! / ~Sam

Andrew Biggs

Hey Brian

This Colt is amazing. I had the real pleasure holding and looking at it up close at Reno. It won the best engraved handgun award.

There's enough gold in the gun to fill Fort Knox!!!!:D

You are one very talented man Brian. It was great talking to you and your lovley wife at Reno.

Cheers
Andrew

Ken Hurst

Elite Cafe Member
What can I say but WOW ! Looks like another hard to beat SAA has hit the scene along with Ray and Marty. Gold work is more than well balanced & layout & design is tops. Big time congrats Brian. Ken

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Pardon me while I pick up my jaw and wipe up the drool.:eek:

The initial effect when I saw the post was a couple words that slipped through my lips before I caught them (good thing the kids aren't home). The overall effect on this is outstanding Brian. It is a real eye catcher.

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Wow very nice Brian. Great looking gun. Definitely award winning work. Are some of the scroll two tone or is it all gold?

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
real critique ? for what ? it's not polite to critique work of this quality. nor is A critique even called for.

Joe Mason

Elite Cafe Member
WOW nice inlays. I know there are a few hours in this one. Sure hope to learn more about the bluing some day. Brian are you going to the Blade Show this year?

Joe

D'Angelo

WOW!!!!!:eek: That is some serious Inlay work!!!!....Very Very well balanced. Awsome job. You asked for some Critique....This is just my opinion....I think if you had cut a line to outline all the Gold inlay work it would have had an even more dramatic effect. Right now....It looks as tho it was Gold Plated . Just my opinion. Eithier way......FANTASTIC JOB!!!!!

D'Angelo

THAT is some Fantastic engraving and inlay work. Its flow is awsome!!!....I think if you had cut and outlined all the Gold work....It would have Popped even more than it does now. Eithier way....AWSOME JOB!!!

Brian Hochstrat

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for the kind words guys, and thanks D'Angelo for the giving your view of how to improve the piece. I had considered outlining just as you advised, I always outline on items that are stainless or that will be greyed, it really makes the inlays pop. However, I had tested how the outlining would look when blued, on the spade bit I had done previously to this job and found that the outline was lost in the bluing. Perhaps with a different blue it would be beneficial, I will certainly keep it in mind for future jobs.

Mike, the gold is all 24k, the tone is from shading, which I find is more difficult to achieve on gold than on steel. I think the reason may simply be that gold is not grey so it limits the amount of tonal range. Or it could just be me, I really don't know.

Dan the piece took about 330 hours, I did not realize what I had jumped into until I was beyond the point of no return, I finished the piece at 3:30 pm on the Thursday before the show, we left for Reno 3 hrs. later, so I cut it pretty close. This year I think I will start on the project in August:) -Brian

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I was proud to serve on the jury that chose this gun, so I have to tell you that Brian is still holding out on you. He has'nt showed the part that puts this gun over the top in our opinion.

lets see that signature Brian!

sitting at the Las Vegas monorail station, waiting on a train

Rob Blanton

Hi Brian,
You really did a great job on this piece. The design and execution of the engraving are both exceptional.
Best,

Rob

El Dorado

I may be new to this forum and engraving, but have been around and seen many fine weapons in my life. This is by far one of the most beautiful handguns I have ever seen........... Lucky is the person that get to see it every day. I did not get to see it in Reno, it was probably put away when they noticed how much I was drooling over everything else.:)

Brian Hochstrat

Elite Cafe Member
Sorry, I did not get back and respond, after being gone to the shows I now have to do some double time to get caught back up, have'nt had time to be active on the forum. It kind of seems like these days I spend more time lining things up, shows, more work, talking on the phone, emailing, ect. than actually doing my work.

Anyway, at Scott's request here is a shot of the signature. It was in a tough area, there was always something in the way, and lettering is NOT my strong suite, but it went pretty smoothly once I got going on it. I do wish I had a shorter name though:) -Brian

[/IMG]