Second Carved Sideplate just finished

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
WOW...exceptionally nice carving. I really like the way the horns are integrated into the scrolls.

Thanks for showing it.

Peter

ddushane

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Phil, That is awesome and inspiring work. Thanks for posting, I love looking at your work. If I may ask, how much time do you have in this one side? I love it. Dwayne

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The first gun took more than 650 hours and there's still more to do after hardening......and then the second one starts, exactly the same except for the animals. Carving is rewarding work, but it's time consuming and a bit laborious.....but someone has to do it :D:D
As you say "I did not care to look at it any longer and almost hated it." It does tend to make you feel like that!

Phil

RT Bit and Spur

Elite Cafe Member
Phil
How do you get the surfaces on the leaves and every thing else for that matter so smooth? I have used a buffer. But that makes some of the edges not as sharp.
Rod

bronc

Elite Cafe Member
Phil,
You work just flat out astounds me. I can't thank you enough for sharing so much with us.

Stewart

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Phil
How do you get the surfaces on the leaves and every thing else for that matter so smooth? I have used a buffer. But that makes some of the edges not as sharp.
Rod
It is possible after a lot of practice to get to that stage with carefull scraping, burnishing will smooth it even more.

Phil

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hey Phil!

One fun thing - when I got my copy of issue 79 of The Engraver I immediately said "Hey, I know who's bench that is!"

Latest posts

Sponsors