Seeking historic photos of engravers

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I created a new Historic Photos of Engravers category in our Photo Gallery. I know many of you have old photos of engravers, and with your help we can feature a fantastic collection. It's difficult to define what a 'historic photo' of an engraver is. Obviously older photos are great, but if it's a non-vintage photo you feel has significance, please post it.

I feel this is an important mission, but I can't do it without your help. If there's anything I can do to make it easier for you, please let me know. I'll be happy to scan, scale, edit, and upload the photos for you. Don't forget that all photos you upload to the Photo Gallery are grouped together under your name in each category.

Comments and suggestions are always welcome!

~Sam

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
Hey Rex,
Is it possible to get Bob Evans involved in this project of Sam's? It could also help the FEGA history collection.
If you pull this off, I'll put in a good word for you with the Big Boy's at SCI.:D :D

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Glenn,
Right now Bob is up to his armpits in projects for FEGA scanning all the back issues of the ENGRAVER but I'm sure we could talk him into it once he is done with that.

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
I have a lot of pictures of Old hysterical engravers. I think Bob's expression would be he was up to his elbows in alligators!

By the way, a great idea SamA. What about some of their work? S

Bill Tokyo

Great Idea

I think it's a great idea to have some pictures of historic engravers. For that matter, I would really like to see the Diderot pages about engraving on line too.

A few weeks ago I looked at Google images under "engravers" and was surprised at how interesting the photos were. One of the photos was of an Irani engraver working on a plate . As well as remeinding me a lot of Japanese style engraving, he was using one of the strangest shaped hammers I have seen. There was also some photos of a Swedish engraver . This seemed to be a village reproducing 18th Century life in Sweden. What was interesting about this shot was the lighting device.

I personally think that there is a lot to be learned from some of these photos, and really hope that you can find some interesting ones.

Jeffrey Parry

Great idea! We need to preserve our heritage!

A few years ago my landlord came to me and asked if I'd be interested in any of the "equipment" next door. The space next door was locked and sealed for as long as I'd been in the building and I presumed it was just storage. It was to be renovated so he allowed me entry and there I found an engraving shop, totally intact but, covered in dust! It was VERY CREEPY!
It seems the gentlemen............no one knew his name.............died and his estate never retrieved his tools. Place had been under lock and key for almost 50 years! His ball vise was still there..........with a few engravers beside it from his last job no doubt. You could see on it where his hands had worn the steel from continued turning of the work...........evidence of a lifetime of engraving! Also there was a beautiful antique mill in almost new condition that I have in my office to this day!
I spent hours looking at what remained, drawings, printed materials, advertisements, etc. Yellowed invoices to various companies, most of them jewelry firms that have long since closed. It was, believe me, a rather melancholy experience and one I will not soon forget!

Sam..........I think your idea of preserving photos is terrific! Our fellows should not be forgotten like this gentleman was.