Show demonstration project - Munich 2008

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Here's a sterling silver loupe I engraved in Munich last week. Stones set by Dyma Semenets of the Alexandre School in Belgium who was demonstrating with us at the GRS booth.

ddushane

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam you make me Sick! :D I love looking at your work! I'm practicing as much as possible, your one of my main inspirations in engraving. Thanks for sharing. Dwayne

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam,

This is absolutly fabulous!! Was this engraved using a microscope? If so do you believe it is possible to do such fine shading with an optivisor type magnification?

Thanks,

Roger

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Very nice loupe. Sam your lettering is beautiful. Almost to nice to use, but how else would you show it off.

Sam

Staff member
Thanks folks.
Faye: I don't know what sizes or types of stones he set.
Roger: See my other thread on the pendant engraved by Churchill. While he can do it without a scope, I certainly can't. I admit to being very dependant on my microscope.

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
Sam, thanks for reminding how good one engraving really can be!

A truly excellent piece of art!

And I mean this to all show pieces you posted here.

gert@inemoni.be

Inhorgenta messe

Hi,

I saw you at work in Munich last weekend. I was totally blown away! I've been doing leatherwork and jewelry for some time and I would like to start engraving. In the past I bought a few gravers but I soon noticed it to be very difficult to master.
Since Mr Alexandre (Alexandreschool.com - Antwerp) made me try the GRS equipment in Munich I'm saving money to follow your beginner class in Antwerp!

thanks

Last edited:

Christiaan

Elite Cafe Member
Sam you make me Sick! :D I love looking at your work! Dwayne

Dwayne, That is no lie. Uncle Sam is making me drool
on the keyboard again. But we just can't get enough of his torture.
We are suckers for his torture.
Got to clean the Keyboard.

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
Sam, I was wondering...

How long it takes for you to create such work? How long takes the design/drawing part and how long the execution?

When you did a demo engraving in Basic Class, then IIRC you said that in real life you cut actually much slower more more carefully. But to save time you do it faster in class.

So how many hours you spent on this engraving?

Sam

Staff member
That's a tough question to answer, Viljo. Let's see...it took me about an hour to lay it out, an hour(?) to outline it, then it went to Dyma for the setting. After that was done I completed the shading which took a couple hrs or more. Keep in mind that this was done at a jewelry exhibition with many interuptions so it's difficult to give you an exact number of hours. If I were do do another one, I would expect to have it finished by noon if I started in the morning.

Kerry Bogan

Sam
That would be what you call exhibition grade shading in your tutorial. Exhibition grade seems to be pretty much standard for Sam, very inspiring.
Kerry

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam,
Whe you say "outline" do you outline the small leafs and stems to the stones or are they more in the nature of free form done at the time of shading? Thanks Fred

BrianP

Hello, I am kind of new to this. I'm trying to learn scroll layout with the help of Ron Smith's books. Can someone point out where the scroll begins? It appears as if the leaves are growing away from each other. Thx, Brian