Silver and gold threads

joseph engraver

Elite Cafe Member
Threads, threads, gold and silver. Wow! Your reaction to my posts has inspired my confidences. I am flattered, and because in my old age flattery is a glorious thing.
From the book, A Gifted Man.Memoirs of an artist.
“I had the world’s finest teachers. Signor Giovanelli put me under the direct supervision of Maestro Renato Sanzogni, the thin, bearded, redheaded man, who was fifteen years my junior. Renato who cut all the dies for the John Wayne, and many other commemoratives worked directly on my right side, he taught me how to hold the chisel and hammer properly, how to stand correctly in front of the vise, and how to make a handheld graver cut steel with surgical precision. I was doing well with my Italian, and was making progress learning how to use my small, delicate, chasing hammer.
The first thing I had to learn was to be able to make a solid contact with the hammer face against the chisel. Every stroke had to be precise or the delicate point of the engraving chisel would break. Once the point was broken it would no longer cut properly and would have to be re-sharpened, a process done under 6-power magnification and could take a novice up to thirty minutes to complete. Something Renato could do in 30 seconds. It was three months before I learned to make a perfect stroke with the hammerhead against the graver. The beginning was agony, I would swing the hammer twice and the point would break, I would have to re-sharpen. Day after day, I would stand in front of my vise, seven hours a day, five and a half day a week, trying to connect with the end of the chisel without looking at the hammer fall. After three weeks of continuous practice, I could cut a semi-straight line three inches long in my practice block. Line after line, each equal thickness, and width apart, I cut on the practice block. When its surface was covered I would show it to the Maestro, he would examine it, send it to the machine shop where the work was milled off, and the clean block then brought back to me. I would place it in my vise, polish the block to a smooth luster, and then begin filling it again with fine lines. I stood on that stone tile floor of the engraving room, cutting line after line until I could do it with absolute precision, standing in those damned cowboy boots, day after day while the arches of my feet begged for relief from the pain caused by standing in one spot for such long periods.â€￾.
From my journal “ Jan. 26, 1982, Today I had my vision checked, new glasses are required, must sell all the rest of my tools to survive these difficult times. Money enough for one more week of hotel rent. Eating well, gaining back my weight. Sleeping well, but still lonely and after school cold and bored. Washing my clothes in the bathtub, drawing sketches to pay for meals, boots still hurting my feet, But where there is a will, there is a way. The hotel owner is a nice and kind concerned person; I explained to him that at the rate my money is going I will soon run out of funds. He has moved me out of my second floor room and up into the attic, I can sleep here for no charge. I have gratefully made the move even though the shower is but a drizzle of very cold water.â€￾ School was going well, or at least better. I sold the vise that I had dragged halfway around the world to my teacher Renato and bought a new pair of eyeglasses.
I had learned to speak and understand some Italian, enough to survive. For the first two weeks of school, I ate no lunch because I did not understand that the school had its own cafeteria with good lunches for workers and students.
On this momentous day, a very wealthy, important looking man was touring the school; he was Italian but spoke perfect English. Signor Giovanelli brought him over to my workstation to look at the practice plate I was engraving. After a few brief questions, the man explained about the cafeteria, I could eat there for $2 a meal. I told him that I had no money extra for lunch. To that, the man replied that he, meaning Signor Giovanelli, would like me to eat as his guest.
Those lunches not only gave me the nourishment needed but introduced me to the flavors of Northern Italian cooking. Signor Giovanelli’s school provided me with food, the food needed to survive. At lunch each day, I would try to be the last served. Then would delay my departure until all of the students, workers, and staff finished, leaving the cafeteria empty. I would then go around to their plates, stuffing the left over scraps into my jacket pockets for that night’s dinner.

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I don't even know what to say. Is anyone going to make a movie out of this? It dang near makes me want to cry.

Ray

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Joseph,

I will definitely enjoy reading your book & I would like to have one as soon as it's available!

Again, thank you so much for sharing,

Yours,

Weldon Lister

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Joseph: I wonder if I met you at the school. What years were you there?

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I ordered that book a week ago and got a notice that it has been shipped. I can't wait to read it. Thank you for writing these posts.

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I came in from the shop last night and got ready for bed. I laid down next to my beautiful bride who was sound asleep and I started reading that book. I went through 6 chapters before I looked up from the print toward the clock. The clock showed me that it was 1:30 AM:eek:

So I put it down and went to sleep but it was hard to do. I say this because there are three other books in my life that I have read that affected me such that I couldn't put them down other than sheer exaustion. They were my first Louis L'Amour book "Heller with a Gun", the Bible, and "Lonesome Dove" by Larry McMurtry.

This is not meant to be a compliment to the author though it can be taken that way, rather it is to illustrate how good a read it is. Joseph, we have a lot more in common than I care to mention, I am glad you wrote this book and took the time to journal when you did. Contrary to what you say, I think you write very well and you're a natural story teller. I'm on chapter fourteen and took a break to catch up on my posts and emails. Tim

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You all have piqued my interest in the book. I received notice today that my copy has been shipped, so I'll probably be doing some serious reading shortly.

txtwang

Elite Cafe Member
Same here..after reading the few excerpts in here..I was hooked, my copy was shipped out this week also.
Don't call...I'll be reading...

Jerry

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Well Joseph, looks like your book is going to do alright.......Yes definately a good read. good to see you on the forum. Haven't got to participate lately, been busy on my 73 project. Had to remark about your book though...............Ron S

ED DELORGE

Elite Cafe Member
Hello Joseph, I do appreicate you sharing your story of your time at the school in Italy. How I can relate to your experience. It was 1979 when my wife and I moved to Trinidad Colorado to attend Gunsmith School. Even though we had numerous skills and degrees job opportunities were scarce. I remember how difficult life was and the sacrafices we made to be able to attend school there. We were there three years to the day. And yes, she stayed with me.

Ed DeLorge

jmcutting

I just finished the book last night... what an amazing story! I was captivated through the entire thing. As a beginner it was really inspiring to read about what Joseph went through to reach his dream. I doubt that I will ever accomplish have of what he has but it definately makes me want to work harder!

I would recommend this book to anyone interested in engraving...

-justin