Critique Request Silver Cross

RyanColyar

This is a work in progress. Argentium sterling. I’m getting back into the swing of things after a few years hiatus. Struggled with drag marks. And I apologize that the photography isn’t better. I’d value your input. Thanks.

Attachments

• D5ABAFD7-FADB-494F-8B60-CB580FCF30DE.jpeg
    D5ABAFD7-FADB-494F-8B60-CB580FCF30DE.jpeg
    166 KB · Views: 192

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Ryan,You asked about drag marks,what tools are you using for your engraving? J.J.

RyanColyar

I was having more drag marks with a 38 flat when bright cutting the leaves, tight turns.

RyanColyar

You know, it was more a a chatter type of issue. I just couldn’t seem to get a smooth cut on those. Tried to turn the vise rather than my hand. Maybe just out of practice.

monk

Staff member
you could try putting short heels on the flats. as for chatter, likely the result of using air assist at a too slow speed. other than for hobo nickels, i never needed heels very much on my flats.

RyanColyar

Mine is a 60 face and rounded 15 deg heel. What do you prefer? Maybe I should double check that. Maybe I got interrupted and didn’t put enough heel on it...

RyanColyar

J.J., I realized I don’t ask your question very completely. I have an older gravermax and various shaped gravers. I still shift gears to push graving sometimes.

JJ Roberts

Ryan,You may try 45 face and a 10 deg. heel are you using a flat or a round heel? J.J.

allan621

Also notice the elevation of the cut. For me chatter comes when I don't hold the tool level enough. So the chatter comes when it goes a shade too deep, forms a tiny wall and then bounces over the cut to go too deep again. For me that's the cause of chatter.

I notice this when I'm cutting metal with porosity and the the cutting edge naturally dives into the porosity pothole going too deep with the cut and then bouncing over the little wall. Also if I have to cut metal deeper than normal and try too hard to remove too much metal at one time. It forms a little wall and then with a little more power the cutting edge jumps over it. Chatter.

Allan

RyanColyar

Also notice the elevation of the cut. For me chatter comes when I don't hold the tool level enough. So the chatter comes when it goes a shade too deep, forms a tiny wall and then bounces over the cut to go too deep again. For me that's the cause of chatter.

I notice this when I'm cutting metal with porosity and the the cutting edge naturally dives into the porosity pothole going too deep with the cut and then bouncing over the little wall. Also if I have to cut metal deeper than normal and try too hard to remove too much metal at one time. It forms a little wall and then with a little more power the cutting edge jumps over it. Chatter.

Allan
Thanks Allan. I think that might be what’s going on for me too. Not due to porosity (I just cut the piece from bar stock.) but I think maybe my initial cuts were too deep and started the process you’re describing.

monk

Staff member
60 degree face-- way, way too much. 45- 50. the 50 simply increases the strength of the tool point-- less bresksge that way

RyanColyar

Thanks Monk. I appreciate the pointer. I’ll give it a try.

Monk, I used the reground 38 with a 45 face and 10 rounded heel on this one. I think it did help. Sorry again the photography isn’t better. Of course, critiques are welcome.

Attachments

• 333D805B-F2B7-4283-8048-E46457BB61A9.jpeg
    333D805B-F2B7-4283-8048-E46457BB61A9.jpeg
    134.6 KB · Views: 52

RyanColyar

Another question. I was thinking about doing some similar work in steel (less gummy, maybe try some inlay). Anyone have a recommended steel type and source? I was thinking stainless. But tell me what you think.

papart1

1018 cold drawn 2" wide about 16 ga. at lowes,home depot.......comes 3' long, This is all I ever use, can resand and reuse multiple times paps

RyanColyar

1018 cold drawn 2" wide about 16 ga. at lowes,home depot.......comes 3' long, This is all I ever use, can resand and reuse multiple times paps
Thanks Paps. These are baptismal crosses, often worn every day. Do you think the 1018 would wear well?

papart1

I thought you just wanted something to practice on that was easier than s.s...........no they wouldn't wear I don't think, kinda heavy. Try Speedy Metals.com for some bronze/brass, all different kinds of s.s. too. Sorry about my confusion..........its happening pretty fast. paps

papart1

I reviewed the post/s and yes it would wear good at a thinner piece, say 18-20 gauge 1018 sorry.

Sponsors