Smoke Pulls

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
What is the best type of "soot" to use for a smoke pull? I used a small oil lamp yesterday and it was OK, but I was wondering if an alcohol lamp would be better - more sooty? Also, what is the preferred tape for this? I used clear packaging tape. Thanks. :)

Crazy Horse

Elite Cafe Member
I used to use a simple candle and heavy packing tape. Now I simply digitally photograph my work and back up my computer engraving file with a Flash Drive.

Sometimes I print the picture and place in a photo album.

Andrew Biggs

Hi Tira

My lamp is a kerosene one (oil). The trick is not to much soot I think as it kind of bleeds out and you lose a bit of the detail..

A simple cigarete lighter works OK as well.

I'm like you with just using clear packaging tape

Cheers
Andrew

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
Hi Tira,

I have for many years used a candle flame for the smoke and clear packing tape to make smoke pulls. I either tape them to white paper, or to more clear tape so I can look at it from the "reversed" side while cutting matching designs on the other side of the part. They keep well also. TOS

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Tira, Like Sam W......I also use just a candle flame for the soot.
I like the ones made from tallow (animal fat) if you can find them.

And clear packing tape also....I found that Scotch brand Packaging tape (blue label) has the smoothest, distortion free surface for perfect smoke pulls.

Last edited:

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Tira,

I used to do a lot of watch repair and consequently have a few of those alcohol lamps around. I don't use alcohol though because it makes a clear flame and is nearly invisible. I put paint thinner or kerosene in it, whichever I have on hand at the time.

Make the flame rich by turning the wick up and lightly soot the engraving, don't cake it on there as it won't look as good and crisp. I use clear packing tape for wide stuff and for everything else I use 1" 3M Scotch "Magic Tape" because it's a matte finish and cuts the glare.

I then place it on a transparency film for copiers, also 3M; these are the ones for overhead projectors not inkjet printers, it's the same surface on both sides. I do this for the same reason Sam does and I poke holes in the sheet and put it in a 3 ring binder with a sheet of copier paper between each sheet.

The reason I use Magic Tape specifically rather than the gift wrapping version of scotch tape is because that stuff has too much "gummy" glue on it where the magic type does not. I don't want 50 kinds of tape around and I use the Magic Tape for masking off areas to bead blast. Andy Shinosky turned me on to this stuff for that reason. The tape comes off easy after you cut around an area with a scalpel rather than the gift tape that comes off in sliver after aggrevating sliver. If they ever make a Magic Tape 2 or 3 inches wide I'll quit using packing tape.

pierre

Elite Cafe Member
Tira, the good translation of "lampe à pétrôle" is oil lamp (sorry).
In fact you use the same that we use in belgium.

Keith

Elite Cafe Member
I use a beeswax candle. And then use the 3m packing tape. The beeswax is real sooty when you get close to the flame. It doesnt have the smell of the oil lamp as I engrave in the house.
Keith

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
My lamp of choice is a kerosene lamp filled with odorless lamp oil. Works great, and the design can be lifted with any common tape.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
candles, but the bic lighters are less messy. alcohol lamp flame doesn't release enough soot.

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Tira,

I have had the best luck with the cheap paraffin based lamp oil like the kind Wal Mart sells. That stuff puts off more soot than anything I have tried (excluding used motor oil mixed with kerosene).

Ray

Latest posts

Sponsors