Some bright cut on Stainless

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
This was a little tougher than I thought it would be to bright cut. It's a Buck knife that GRS sales. I borrowed Sam's S for the center. Thank you Sam. You really gotta watch out for those pins their not so engraver friendly. Just thought I'd post it for the heck of it.

Attachments

• jpg for post.jpg
    jpg for post.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 228
Last edited:

Billzach

Elite Cafe Member
Mike
Looks nice and detailed, I,m working on my first fixed blade Boker knife , it,s a whole new ballgame to me, i like for everything to fall in place and in order, the knife has other ideals, but so far everything is working out..

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Mike, congrats on brightcutting stainless steel! I'm not sure I have the nerve to attempt it. The knife looks great, and leaf script monogram is a nice contrast from the brightcutting. / ~Sam

jbmartin

That looks very nice!
What type (carbide, glensteel,etc) of flat did you find to be the best for cutting it?
I have always soldered on sterling and then engraved it, but have been itching to try one straight on the stainless.

JB

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks guys I appreciate your kind words.
JB I tried carbide but it just wasn't working very well it kept chipping on me. So I used a 120 square glensteel and a HSS #40 flat and they worked fine with a couple of sharpening in between.

msar24

I've cut several of these knives and found the high speed steel and cobalt (John B version) cut better than the carbide. Not sure why but they did. I did not do any bright cuts. I also found the pins to not be graver friendly. I also found that on some that some areas of the knife to be easier to cut than others. On some of them it was the same on both sides. Since I cannot take them apart I open it up, wrap the blade so I don't amputate my fingers and put a piece of wood inside which makes a big difference. People really like these knives for gifts and you can put some basic lettering (initials, etc.) and some border work and they love it. The price for the knives is not bad either.

Kevin