Spade Bit

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Absolutely stunning, Brian. Keep posting your art, as I'm building quite a folder of your work....hope you don't mind.

Bill

Brian Hochstrat

Elite Cafe Member
Rick, the blueing was done with Oxinate 7. Dwight Towell, who lives right down the road, give me a lesson on how it is done, on a project I did for David Broadwell a couple months ago. Its quite easy, I do it on the kitchen stove, in a 9 qt. SS pot. You just have to keep your salts at 300 deg. which is done by adding water every so often as it boils off. Takes about 20 minutes. Of course, you may already know the process. Brian

Rick Eaton

Elite Cafe Member
Brian,
Thanks, yes I have used niter salts alot but haven't tried oxinate 7 yet, I heard you get a little more perminate blue than niter salts. I also heard it is a little more costic than niter as well. Of course if I did that in the kitchen I might be sleeping in my shop :eek: . My wife wasn't too happy when I had my daughter boiling the deer heads on the stove to make a european mount, had to air the house out before she got home.:D
Rick

Brian Hochstrat

Elite Cafe Member
Rick, with the Oxinate 7 you do get a pretty durable finish, it can even be steel wooled a little if you get some rust from dirty salts. It really does'nt smell caustic, but you really don't want to get any on you, it burns, but vinegar neutralizes it. I once had a boil over(a new batch of salts will try to boil over), and yes, I was lucky my new bride was at school, she may have become my new ex-wife.:) Some water/vinegar and some elbow grease fixed it all up and she never knew. Anyway, you want to keep at least an inch of solution all the way around the part, after boiling for 20 min. dip in a bath of ice cold water, return it to the solution for 5 minutes and dip again, I dip it 5 times. Also the higher finish the metal has the deeper the color, I finished the bit to 800 grit and it came out bluer, on the knife bolster I did I went to 2000 as Dwight had recommended and it was almost black, which was a good look too. Hope that helps- Brian

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Nice job Brian. Have you ever used 46-0-0 fertilizer prills to blue with? Please tell us the results from the Auction when it is time. Thanks

Brian Hochstrat

Elite Cafe Member
Leonard, I have never heard of using the fertilizer. What is the process? It may be something that would be useful on future projects. Brian