Spade Bit

Brian Hochstrat

Elite Cafe Member
Here is my latest creation, completely sole authorship, even the stand it sits on. Its a traditional California style Spade, but with my own style applied. The inlays are done in Argentium silver and gold. The hot blueing I did myself. Luckily, I can do my own blueing due to a blue remover accident, I had the pleasure of blueing this one twice. I was not in happy holiday spirits when that happened. Anyway let me know what you think. Thanks-Brian
[/IMG][/IMG]
[/IMG]

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
HOLY SMOKIN' GUNS!!! That is probably the most exquisite bit in existance. I had no idea that people would pay for this level of craftsmanship to put in a horses mouth.

Roger

ken dixon

Elite Cafe Member
I would say its exceptional. Do you have a rough idea how many hours you have into it? And are you going to use it on your horse? Ken

Christiaan

Elite Cafe Member
NO WAY!!!! :D :D This is shockingly-fan-stunning-tastic beautiful. I agree it must be the most artistic bit in exsistance. Brian, it is a pleasure to the eye and soothing to the soul. Bless you for making and showing us such a beautiful piece.

Brian Hochstrat

Elite Cafe Member
This bit was made for an auction being held in Elko, NV. at the cowboy poetry gathering, the week following the Fega show. I doubt this bit will ever get close to a horse, it kind of like the art knives and fine guns, although it is made so it could be used, once the gold and fine line engraving goes on it, it will be hung in a collection case rather than a tack room.

Its difficult to re-invent the wheel. These bits have been dated as far back as the 4th century, and have changed little. The most the California bits have large silver inlays and heavy bright cutting and very little engraving on the steel. The reason, is because it is quite wet in most parts during the winter and the steel will rust and cover the engraving, also the horse will eventually rub the bit on something and the engraving has to be heavy enough to with stand it.

There is a good supply of bits out there that are for using. The goal with this one was to make it so people who are really not into western gear could still appreciate the artistry of the bit.

The bit took 6 wks from start to finish. Roughly 2 wks of that was engraving, the rest was spent cutting, welding, filing and sanding. Argentium inlays good, it will harden eventually but it much better than white gold.

Thanks for the good reviews-Brian

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
I tuned in a little late but wanted to add to the congratulations.
Another beautiful piece of art, Brian.
Happy New Year, See ya in Reno!

John B.

Rick Eaton

Elite Cafe Member
Brian,
Awesome work! Nice to see some quality gun style engraving mixed with some cowboy style edgework, great job!

Should have read Igraver first you allready answered my questions about the silver.

What kind of blueing did you do?

Thanks
Rick

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
What a masterpiece. Fine job, Brian! Absolutely fantastic in every respect. / ~Sam