Spyderco Byrd Handles

PS_Bond

Elite Cafe Member
Has anyone tried cutting the stainless Byrd handles at all? I'm looking to get a few as pure practice pieces, and I've no idea what grade of stainless is used for the handles, nor how much grief I'm letting myself in for...

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
They were mentioned over on the Lindsay forum. I remember Steve Ellsworth had picked up several of the inexpensive Spydies but I don't recall if he mentioned how they were to cut.

I think they should cut just fine but I have not yet tried them myself.

Peter

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Peter if your just starting out and using push gravers I would suggest and this is just my opinion others may disagree. Get some copper practice plates or silver charms that aren't rhodium plated they will cut nice with a push graver. The spyderco's would be good if you wanted to do some bulino but if you want to go deep you'll need a hammer and chisel.

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
engraving on stainless knives

Since yoou don't own a power assist system, I would encourage you to stick with hand push and learn how to use the ol'' hammer and chisel method. With a little practice and patiences you can engrave beatifully.If you use these Spidy Knives for practiceyou can probably sell them and get paid to practice while improving your "old world " skills.

PS_Bond

Elite Cafe Member
Get some copper practice plates or silver charms that aren't rhodium plated they will cut nice with a push graver.

Good advice, thank you - although I'm looking to this as a next step from the copper & silver cutting I've been doing as well as for some practice inlaying into steel. Bulino could be interesting; that hadn't occurred to me.

I think I'll see how the gravers cut this, then make up a chisel if I really take exception to the material! I've got a couple of old Rawldrills that Wayne Parrott suggested as chisel handles/holders; copper sheet I have quite a lot of - colleagues of mine keep bringing me scrap copper pipe which I slit, open out & put through the rolling mill. To add to that, I can melt down the evidence if I don't like the result & recast it (or alloy it)!

I can't justify powered just yet... Which is not to say it doesn't appeal, as I'm a bit of a tool junky. Engraving is an adjunct to the jewellery I've been doing, and started out originally as wanting to learn more about stone setting.

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Just remember to change the face angles on the tool that you use on harder material to a steeper angle than what you would use for silver and copper.Grind away the top of the tool so that it makes it easier to sharpen as in less to grind when sharpening.best of luck!!!!!!!!!
Dave

PS_Bond

Elite Cafe Member
Well, I finally tried the Byrd handle... Ew. That was a deeply unpleasant experience. Just trying to cut a simple border for inlay, nothing more involved than that; the stuff is like cutting gravel. Hard spots & soft spots galore - and slips too. Clearly this material is going to require more practice - and I've got to stop hoping to do the same depth of cut I can manage in copper in one pass.

Latest posts

Sponsors