Critique Request Spyderco Delica with english scroll

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mario, I can not judge about English scrolls, but I dare to say it looks already really good. I see you have used Marcus and John 's advises in this the same way I understood their advices. I also see the difficulty of keeping the "grey/black" tone in balance.
But i have no doubt you will succeed. Thanks for sharing your progress on English scrolls.

arnaud

ddushane

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Looking very good Mario! This last layout is my favorite so far that you done on the spyderco. Looking forward to seeing the finished product! Thanks for all the posts, I really enjoy following your work.

Dwayne

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Wow, Mario! The difference from the first side to the second is like night & day! Thank you for being so diligent about applying the various suggestions so many of us have made. It really does make helping people worth our time. Very few things annoy me more than trying to help somebody who willfully refuses to accept instruction (even when they asked for it). Great job!

Mario Sarto

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you all for your help and your kind words - much appreciated!
Here is my afternoon-work. I think, i have made some progress :)

Attachments

• Spyderco-evening-work3.jpg
    Spyderco-evening-work3.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 95

Mario Sarto

Elite Cafe Member
The second side is finished. I think, i didn't match it at all, but i am really amazed what was possible with your help. There is definite an enhancement in comparison with the first side.

Mistakes i can see by myself are: cuts are to deep sometimes and the backbones still not equal.

So a big thank you, who helped me doing this. Marcus, every cut i did, i thought about your story from the tree - hope, you can see it :)

Regards, Mario.

Attachments

• spyderco-secondside1.jpg
    spyderco-secondside1.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 81
  • spyderco-secondside3.jpg
    spyderco-secondside3.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 66

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Mario, congratulations on an outstanding effort, very well done.

The only thing you might consider is some small shade lines around the main scroll areas. Like you did around the flower bouquet.
This would create a grey transition area between the outside cockades and soften the transition between the dark scrolls and the outer space.
You could explore the idea with pencil lines first to see if you like it. Just a thought.
Best.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Congratulations Mario, I think you came out very well with it.
Sure it is not up to me to criticize this, only can say it looks great.
Especially reading your questions and and seeing how you handled the answers of Marcus and John.
Sure I also will give it a try and show it when I have the time.

One important thing I learned is how to look at this English scroll style. I didn't like it that much at first, but now I see its complicity if you want to have it right.

arnaud

ken dixon

Elite Cafe Member
That looks great Mario, very professional looking.

Could you kind of explain what" Subice te rebus et impera! " means in english? I used the google translator and still couldn't understand.

Thanks Ken

Mario Sarto

Elite Cafe Member
The only thing you might consider is some small shade lines around the main scroll areas.
John, this is a neat proposal! I believe, these shading lines would make a nice smooth crossover. But it will take some time, have to work the rest of month - customers are threaten :)

Ken, literally translated (it's Latin) it means: you have to subordinate yourself to the things (in the world) about to master/dominate them with hindsight
It is my life-motto only.
Perhaps i should add the address of my homepage to the signature, but as it is in German available only, i thing, this wouldn't make sense ...

Regards, Mario

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Mario,
It's a shame that paying work sometimes interupts fun projects :)
In case you don't like the look of surrounded shading don't forget to try it for looks by gently shading right on your beautiful knife with a pencil.
Best.